classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Alternators
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
1stpop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Alternators Reply with quote

I am considering going to 12v for my Ford Pop 103E - had loads of electrical problems with it and decided enough is enough... Can any one recommend a good alternator that will fit?
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon tweeks do a very good alternator that looks like a dynamo not cheap though, I can also remember them being in the practical classic mag I will have a route around

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 1stpop
I was looking at the wiring on Buzzy’s truck the other week I think yours will be similar especially for the charging circuit.

Ford fitted 2 types of dynamo, the earlier one being the “3rd brush” type, this is where the field control is either manual or linked to the lighting circuit, either way it is a pretty poor system, that used to send both dynamos and batteries to an early grave!. These dynamos just have voltage regulator rather than a control box.

The later ones have the more conventionally dynamo where the field circuit is regulated by the control box automatically, it is possible that at some stage your car has the wrong combination of dynamo and regulator / control box or had the older 3 brush dynamo and regulator replace with a 2 brush unit & control box, without the wiring being adapted to suit?

The good news is that the wiring is about as basic as you can get on a car, so this should be easy to spot. Looking at both the wiring diagrams I notice that Ford didn’t fit any fuses at all ! Shocked which was odd given the cars were in production in to the 50’s, the only protection for the wiring is the ammeter! this will serve as an expensive fuse if there is an electrical fault! So what ever route you go, a coupe of inline fuses wouldn’t be a bad thing.

If you want to go the alternator route go for a Lucas ACR unit, they are cheap, robust & plentiful and have all the voltage detection and regulation built in .

I’d try and establish what the current problem is before doing any mod’s, otherwise you may be masking a fault rather than sorting it.

Dave
1stpop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dave.. your right about the wiring its all over the place - theres been a fuse box fitted and you can take out all the fuses without anything happening!!! the control box is wired up wrong looking at my wiring diagram. Its a 2 brush dynamo (new) and it has no connection from the A1 post and the ammeter sort of works - but no matter what I do it seems to be running off the battery and starter is a real problem (engine runs lovely) - was considering going to 12 volts for better starting, reliability and lights (lol).

Still deciding if I should go for am alternator or just re-wire the car and go for the same system but at 12v - ie. dynamo and control box?

Do you know if there is any advantage to going to a negative earth?

I know I will have to reduce the current for the fuel gauge but this is the only thing that will remain original - and the ammeter ia 30A so I think that should be ok?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the condition of the existing loom, if its been significantly chopped about and/or modified, it may be worth considering fitting a new loom then you know where you are with things, especially if you plan to hang on to the car

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
TonyBrooks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered changing to an Alternator on my E93A. I acquired a good second hand one from a local Car Electrical rebuilder after going through his stock looking for one that was the right size and with suitable fitting. Once it was fitted I just couldn't get the system to charge - took the unit back to get it tested and all was ok. Eventually worked out that the bottom pulley on the engine was the wrong size in that the Alternator was not being turned over quick enough so if you do change look carefully at the sizes of the pulleys on both your engine and the alternator itself.
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an advert in this months PC magazine from Powerlite.
These alternators are not cheap at £360 but if you are into preserving the original looks of your vehicle, they seem to be an excellent route to persue

Powerlite Alternators
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course, if you werent bothered to much about it looking original, there are always the one wire alternators that are available for US cars. Really easy to wire in, just the one wire to the battery... Shocked
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lucas ACR is a 1 wire unit , well 2 if you count the warning lamp connection Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt know that UK. Is it a reliable alternator? I've lost touch with Lucas parts to a certain extent...
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ, its a pretty reliable unit, the only thing you have to watch is the rating, Lucas didn't label them very well, they were available from around 30amp units to 80 amp, I have seen people get them mixed up thinking they are all the same then wondering why the replacement unit wont keep up with demand!.

That said even the smallest which I think was the 14ACR will have an output bigger than any dynamo, so shouldn't be a problem for those wanting to upgrade.

Interestingly they are now made in China (where else these days ! Confused ), but not sold as Lucas units, and have no external name on them, but if you open them up, you find Lucas on the inside of the metal casting, so I guess the Chinese must have bought the old tooling, you can buy them new from around £30, no exchange and are complete with pulley
Shocked
FAB Cruiser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to upgrade the alternator that's been fitted to my Zephyr.

I'm not getting enough current to keep the battery fully charged now I've added some accessories.

The alternator appears to be a Lucas LRA358. It has two + terminals and an 'IND' terminal. It's 45 amps and is left (near side) mounted.

Anyone know what model I can add as a straight swap replacement without mucking around with the brackets and terminals?

Thanks
David
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

What are these accessories that draw such heavy currents? I'd be surprised if your alternator couldn't cope.

Peter
FAB Cruiser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car came with a sealed Halfords battery which is one year old according to the label.

When I have the headlights on, supplemented by front spot lights and the CD player, the brightness of the lights varies quite a bit depending on my revs.

I've taken this to mean the alternator isn't quite up to meeting the demand?

I don't have any problem with starting.

Thanks
David
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Alternators are marvelous but you can't expect them to match all that lighting load at tick-over, but as long as it can give positive charge at normal running revs then you don't need to upgrade its capacity.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: