classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Paint Preparation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I can't remember the sprays name but a high percentage was silicone, after reading the can! whoops!

Laughing Embarassed

I quite like the idea of snakes in the Workshop, I used to have a pet Rat Snake in my bedroom when I was younger! hehe

Cheers

Dave
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to a friend of mine this weekend who is a pro paint sprayer I asked for a definitive answer to the 2K paints not using a hardener, he said a big fat no, he said it will dry by touch but never dry properly and never be resilient to anything such as petrol, even bird lime or fly squash would damage it.
Polishing it would scratch it Cool

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that I wonder about is why a pro painter (the one UK mentioned) would want to omit hardener in the first place... Question
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm?
Could be just the cyanide thing?
My guy did say there are 1K paints available and there are Cyanide free 2k paints but neither are good enough in his estimation for classic cars that you will treasure, he would consider it a blow over job on a general run around Rolling Eyes

Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that I'm going to use them on my next spray job, but I'm getting more and more certain that the way forward is to use Water Based Paints. I have used them once, or rather observed useage, and was impressed.

Any comments?
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My mate uses water based all of the time, and has good results, I can't say much more about it though!

Cheers

Dave
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the automotive industry in general is being urged/advised/told to move over to water-based to stay in line with eco-friendly guidelines.
Two Pack is no longer available at my sprayer's suppliers.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I figure Water Based Paints are as follows. Soon, we are going to have no choice, and it will be the only paint that we can use, like it or lump it!

For home use, they have advantages. They dont smell much, and flow well. Therefore the chances of a good finish for an amateur are improved. They are supposed to be surface tolerant, ie can be sprayed over any other kind of paint. Not something that I would personally do though, as I always want to know the condition of the substrate.

Being able to be sprayed at home means that a surface can be taken to bare metal, and then covered before flash rust sets in. As this can appear on the journey between home and the painters, thats a definate plus.

Disadvantages? One small, one big. The small one. Though water based clears are becoming available now, it was previously recommended that they be covered with 2K clear, which still for most of us warranted a trip to the painters.

The big one? Its new technology, and if there is one thing that pepole have difficulty in accepting is new technology. We've all heard someone say ''Its not as good as it used to be''

I know also that there are some that are going to say ''yes, but that kind of paint wasnt originally used'' but come on guys, does it matter? Nobody is going to do a chemical analysis are they? And lets face it, none of us have original cars!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll on the invention of non-toxic clear coat and then we'll all be happy.
I don't own a vehicle that is completely original so I have no problem with having it painted in a modern finish. The only drawback is the 'plasticky' appearance of modern paints when compared to original, but UJ has mentioned somewhere that this effect can be reduced somehow.

I've been spending some time on the US forums where the finish on the cars is amazing, they use an epoxy primer (POR?) and spray 2k paint over that to make the finish bombproof!
I'd be much happier to know that the paint on my rebuilt car was actively preventing any further corrosion than simply looking pretty, that way the vehicle could be used in all weathers as intended without fussing too much about the return of rust.

Show cars and garage queens may have different requirements but cars that are actually used as intended need a tough, non permeable finish. Without ovens that's a difficult process to replicate.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they mean by the expression epoxy primer is a 2K self etch primer. These have a tendency to etch and kill microscopic rust. some people do use POR, but my own choice is to use one from whoever manufacturers the rest of the paint that I will use.

Nowadays, I buy my paint from one manufacturer, due to the fact that thoughI have had small problems with paint from others, I have never had such from this one. So for me at least, the choice is a no brainer. This same company now has a low VOC clear on the market as well! Great!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
The one thing that I wonder about is why a pro painter (the one UK mentioned) would want to omit hardener in the first place... Question

I asked the question...

They use it when brushing is preferable to spraying, i.e. on a small bracket, where it would take much longer to mask or dismantle it for spraying. The reason they don’t put harder in at all is that they can keep a small amount for these jobs during the accident repair and don’t have to use the stuff in a booth with all the 2k safety gear.
He repairs commercial vehicles, mostly under contract from insurers, the key thing for them is quick turn around and no re-work as it can cost £1000’s to have a truck off the road for a few days, so all these trade tricks have to pay.

Would he do an external panel this way? … No
Do the paint manufactures recommend it?... No
How resilient is it? About the same as celly, they do compound it, petrol in his experience would not cause a problem, he had no experience of bird droppings! Laughing

We were chatting about paint and the availability of various products, interestingly cellulose paint is still available as it has more applications than just automotive use, the EU regulations just don’t let you paint vehicles with it!, though many places will still mix car colours for you, here is one;

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=50

There are apparently zero or less toxic 2K paints around, but currently only available in a fixed range of colours and as had already been mentioned not really good enough for our requirements.

Water based seem to be the future, apparently most manufacturers now use water base but apply some coats in an electrostatic powder form which is then baked to get the “lustre”, great when you have a bare body shell but not so practical in the refinishing trade, his view was that the jury is still out on what the final preferred water based paint refinish technique will be, but there will be one. He will use 2 pack untill legislations prevents it as he is a tight bugger who won’t want to invest unless he has too, Wink Laughing he claims the margins are very tight these days but you should see the car he drives Wink
bob2

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ratio should 2 pack be mixed?
I was thinking in this order paint:hardner:thinner 4:1:1

What do you guys think?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob2, is there any possibility of you doing a test piece? I have an idea for you that might just work, and make things easier...
pigtin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through all this change-to-water-base business in the Tenpin Bowling industry in the 90s. we previously used Nitro-cellulose to finish the wooden lanes... It was leathal, the flashpoint so low if you sucked a polo-mint near it you were taking a risk.
There were all sorts of dire predictions about the problems of using water based lacquer because the nitro went down so easily... someone would walk up the lane pouring it from a watering can and another following behind with a specially shaped broom to spread it. It was like living inside a bomb.
I often think about this when I spray cellulose in my garage and worry about it's demise. Again, it's so easy. But in years to come we'll probably look back and wonder how we survived using such a volatile material.
They developed simple user-friendly water based lacquer for bowling lanes, it will probably be the same with automobiles.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I became a psychologist I was a carpenter and joiner for 15 year I regularly used something called "Danish oil" this has a very high flash point, I have seen a rag ignite itself just laying around
When I fitted up my lights in the barn my electrician warned me that they should all be enclosed and gasket sealed if I was spraying, even plugs and light switches can create a spark from thinner fumes Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: