classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Paint Preparation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
what ratio should 2 pack be mixed?
I was thinking in this order paint:hardner:thinner 4:1:1

What do you guys think?

I have always used 2:1 paint hardner with up to 20% thinners (dependent of the temp), most paint suppliers will give you measuring cups FOC when you buy the paint, or a paint ruler.

This is a car I painted when the garage temp was about 20 degrees, the ratio was 2:1 10% thinners, got a great gloss straigt from the gun and only a couple of runs, due to my inexpirience Embarassed !

ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeney in France wrote:
Before I became a psychologist I was a carpenter and joiner for 15 year Rolling Eyes

Wow thats an impressive career change Very Happy
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know you ll never believe the trouble I was in after going to a public school like "Greshams" then wanting to become a "chippy" Rolling Eyes
I started off doing child psychology as we were fostering and I was working with handicapped children and adults but ended up working with criminals when I was asked to go to the states for my dissertation.
I have always been academic but was rebelling I think but it has giving me a real life standing, I had to try to loose my "posh" public school accent when on a building site believe me Laughing

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greshams...isn't that where Jeremy Clarkson went to? To blend in on the building site you could simply show your ar*se and shout 'Phwooar!' at passing women surely? Laughing
bob2

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So UJ waht is it you'd suggest?

UKD I was thinking to add less hardner so that it takes a bit longer for the paint to harden in order for me to be able to roll it better, I will definitely use more thinner though but I will be testsing some beforehand, it is not that much of a problem whatever turns out cause the best part of it all will be covered so wil not be seen!!
However I want it to be resilient especially in the boot area since I may load big stuff in it!! (like a bike, bbq etc)
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2, there will be a pm on its way to you in a few minutes.

Returning to the hardener question, its usually on a 1:1 basis, nothing else. Reducers can normally be used up to 25%. All of the good paint manufacturers will supply tech sheets, which are well worthwhile following.
bob2

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used water based for woodwork and the process for the basecoat was 5:1:1, basecoat:hardner:water

So I was thinking on the samw lines when I said 4:1:1
Would there be a problem with the paint if I did it like this?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
bob2, there will be a pm on its way to you in a few minutes.

Returning to the hardener question, its usually on a 1:1 basis, nothing else. Reducers can normally be used up to 25%. All of the good paint manufacturers will supply tech sheets, which are well worthwhile following.

I don't know if 2k is different in Sweden but in the UK all the 2k paint that I have used has a 2:1 paint : hardner recomendation by the paint manufacturers, there are different types of hardener, including winter / air drying. oven bake. If you tell the supplier what you are doing they will recomend the correct hardner, I'd imagine a 1:1 ratio would set very quickly and possibly shrink, ? unless its a different sort of 2k from the usual stuff?

Dave
bob2

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I understand this the more hardner u put the sooner it will harden and be dry so since I will be using a roller I supposed that by reducing the amount of hardner I would be able to make it flow better!!?

A friend has mixed it 3:1 and painted the underside with a paint brush and the results are very good, it flowed well and brushmarks are not that visible.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old nail J. Clarkson went to Repton in Derbyshire, well I should say "expelled from" Rolling Eyes
author John Lanchester was there when I was but a year above me
Stephen Fry attended for a while
My head master was Logie Lockhart famous scottish rugby player, got me into it seriously

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's right - thanks Greeney. I've read an unauthorised biography on him but couldn't quite remember the name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: