classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

2 post or 4 post ramp
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice

What is your preference
4 post ramp
73%
 73%  [ 19 ]
2 post ramp
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 26

47p2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: 2 post or 4 post ramp Reply with quote

The way I see it is a 2 post will take less floor space when not in use. It will also allow wheels to be removed to work on brakes and suspension with great ease. The negative side for me is I don't feel particularly safe working under a 2 post ramp with 2.5 tons above my head whilst I am trying to undo a rusted bolt with the breaker bar. Also the fact if an older car is getting a little fragile underneath, you are limited to where you can lift it. I would hate to have a 2 post ramp sticking out from the underneath of the car. Finally there is the problem of the post always being in the way of the door and eventually I think I would end up with a few extra dents in the bodywork

The 4 post would cause some wheel spins in wet conditions, it takes up the full area, access to wheels would mean car on ramp and lift, place axle stands under car and lower ramp. Also limited access underneath the car due to the physical shape of the ramp. I do feel safer with a 4 post ramp........

What are your thoughts and what would you choose
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use neither. I prefer an inspection pit to both. I find that far more practical...and safer...

Lifts need far to much ceiling height, which also increases heating costs for the workshop. They get in the way as well when you are lifting an engine out...oh, and a 2.5 ton lift might not lift a 2.5 ton car, if you think about it.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am about to be buying a ramp, and I think a 4 post hands down, with a wheel free system, so you can have the wheels free for working like a two post, but it is much safer, or secondly one of the 4 poster ramps with the hydraulic jacks on them, are they mot ramps or something, but you have to use body power to lift the car on a jack, instead of flicking a switch.

As for lifting heavy cars, my mate bradbury (I think it is bradbury, or simmilar) easily lifts 2.5 tons maybe 3 tons, not sure what it is rated too, but if it will lift two ton, that is more than engough for me!

Second advantage, is more storage space, one car on the ramp, and one car under the ramp. Obviously you need building hight, but that is good in my oppinion, as it is more storage space. In the UK we rarely get cold weather, and I am for some reason rarely cold, as long as it is dry. So heating is not really needed, unless you are sitting for long periods doing something labourious, or painting of course!

I am all for 4 poster ramps, and they are so cheap too, a 3 phase 4 post ramp are £3 or 4 hundred quid.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, I can almost guarantee that your mate lift wont lift my 2 1/2 ton Lincoln. I know that there are none here that can, even the pro ones that our version of the Mot testers use.

Listen to an old timer.... inspection pits are better. Very Happy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think you could be eating your hat on this so to speak, as I have been about 2 meters away when it was up about 5 foot in the air, and it is a bus, was weighed on the bridge, and it was over 2.5ton, I can find out the exact weight next time I see him.

It was too big really for the lift, as the wheels were right at each end of the lift.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have inadvertantly hit on the problem. My Lincoln, Chrysler, and for that matter the Impala I posted a while ago are all physically to big to go on a 2.5ton lift....and therein is another problem with lifts. They can restrict car choice...

Incidentally, a friend of mine once got seriously injured under one when it collapsed...so much for fail safes!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is your wheel base then?

I will try to find you a picture of what my mate was lifting.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the width buzzy, none of them would physically go between the posts... Embarassed
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I think your pit idea may be best for your larger than life cars! Bit like my feet! he he Laughing
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comment! Laughing
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with the pit too I loved the one I had in the UK but am going to put a mech-mate one in the barn, even though I have about 20metre roof height
They just take up so much space

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would have loved you to see a pit, I saw last year, cor blimy!

A friend went down it, and it was half covered with planks, he went under the planks, and did not return, I followed him to find a small door way at the end of the pit, this led to a machineshop, steel storage and various other rooms, all under the workshop, great idea!

The priest hole of the workshop world!

Cheers

Dave
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great
I have to dig out my barn floor to level it as it is only cow compacted soil at the moment.... I wonder?
What would you recommend for my floor? There is a cement company here that can supply a cement that is self floating and has a polished look to it when dry, a bit hard on the knees though, has anyone tried anything else that will withstand oil, petrol, rust, weld spatter but be a bit more comfortable Question Rolling Eyes

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Good railway sleepers, warmest flooring available, pretty spatter resistant.

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4" x 4" x 4" oak blocks, end grain up, on a bed of sand...I saw this for the first time in a Kockums shipyard workshop a few years ago. Over a hundred years old, still perfect after all that use!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: