classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Removing severly deteriorated window rubbers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Removing severly deteriorated window rubbers Reply with quote

Hi again.

Im just in the process of trying to remove the glass from the Morris J type. The rubber is extremely deteriorated to the point that it mostly just breaks off. However the bit between the glass and the pannel has managed to adhere to both surfaces, so Im worried about breaking the glass.

Is there some liquid that I could apply which will aid the parting of the parts?

Cheers,
Mike
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: RUBBER REPLACEMENT. Reply with quote

I KNOW THE FEELING ---SHATTERED TWO SCREENS IN THE 60`S TRYING TO REMOVE AND REPLACE ON A TK BEDFORD!!
HAS THE OUTER SECTION GOT AN INSERT SLEEVE TO PUSH RUBBER APART OR IS IT PLAIN/FLAT TO THE GLASS.REMOVAL OF OUTER BEAD NORMALLY ALLOWS FLEXIBILITY AND RUN A BEAD OF SOAPY WATER AROUND INNER SECTION.

Ray theRocker
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the rubber has deteriorated way beyond the use of soapy water. Its gone hard and just breaks off. The bits that are still flexible I cut with a knife. But the glass overlaps the pannel, so there is rubber between the two faces, and its sticking to both. I need something that will soak in and assist the rubber to part company from either glass or metal.

Mike
Kaybee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, arm yourself with a nice sharp wood chisel and use the heel of your hand against the chisel to "bump" the old rubber away...gently Smile ....but if you break the glass, new laminate is only about $40 for a windscreen size piece o' glass, pretty cheap really .... cheers, Col.
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Col. I only just realised your only a stones throw away from me. Im in Heatherton.
Yeh I might have to use a new piece for the driver side windscreen to get a rwc, but Im not overloaded with money so prefer to use as much as possible of whats there. Also because it has the original Triplex ID with date code.

I think if I gently push the glass and slip a knife blade along will probably get the job done.

Mike
sgrants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Mike,
The window rubbers on my J van are the same have you got yours out yet?

Fidelis Ad Urnam.
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grant.

I think Roland mentioned that you'd got your van home. How did it go?

The windows are in van number three, and was a case of preservative action during a moment of winter madness. Other things prevented its continuation, so the glass is still in situ.

I used one of those knives with the slide out blade in a plastic handle to cut the rubber on the outside of the van. Sliding the blade flat along the glass while lifting the outside beed to remove the bits that are not so hard as to simply break off.
I have not yet attempted to get anything between glass and metal. Work is now fully focused on van number one.

Im thinking 'old hacksaw blade'. Grind it to form a hook type cutter on one end, attach a wood handle, and slowly rip the rubber out from between glass and metal. Have someone on hand to catch the glass in case it decides to fall off.
I was hoping to find a liquid that would make the rubber release its grip, but I think not.

Thats all I can offer at this point.

Catch you on the group.

cheers,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: