classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What compressor and gun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: What compressor and gun Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just had an unexpected gift from the tax man Very Happy and have decided to get a compressor and spray gun before the wife finds out Wink

I've had a look at machine mart but the range is just so big I'm a bit lost.

I've painted the Chevy Pickup bed panels in hammerite which has given a good hard finish for when I throw stuff in the back and should also make it easy to repair any future damage. Done this with a roller as all the panels were pretty flat and could be laid horizontal to give a run free smooth finish.

However I want to try my hand at spraying the cab with 2 pack or cellulose and need to get the above bits, and having the ability to use the compressor for sanding etc would be good as well.

I know the 'best you can afford' is usually the advice, but I only need something for hobby use so any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the search facility it pulls up a good few discussions but;
Even as a "hobby" there is nothing worse than a breathless compressor
Go for belt driven for quiet running and a minimum 50ltr tank
Hydrovane are excellent too, although the little direct drive ones are ok I personally dont rate them very highly, noisy and forever working to catch up
If you want to buy tools you are going to need big tank too as they use air very quickly, nibblers, grinders ratchets especially
Although everyone goes for devilbliss guns they are are good professionally speaking but I find the Sealey guns a little more forgiving
Look out for the HVLP guns now though

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember 2 pack is deadly poisonous so the compressor must also provide air feed to mask/suit.

Keep away others and pets - it should not be done outside however either. Use cellulose its more easier to rectify faults and in keeping with classics
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try a search as well.

How about the Clarke ones? Machine mart are pretty close to me.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/boxer-100-compressor/path/diy-semi-professional-air-compressors-2

or

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/se16c150-air-compressor/path/professionalindustrial-air-compressors-elect
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found my last post on this in May - must be loosing it as I couldn't remember asking the question on this forum Embarassed

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4841&highlight=compressor

Anyway, it looks like the Clarke SE16 may be the one to opt for.....
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at the link for the SE16. If I was looking for a compressor, then I would have a number of questions to ask.

Such as: Is 14cfm the free air, or is it at a specified pressure?

Why are they using Imperial measures (cfm)? They are of course illegal in the UK now....Are they trying to confuse the customer?

Cast iron cylinders for better cooling? Laughing
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i LIKE THIS BIT "British built for performance and reliability". Confused
Good compressor though all said

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be a case for Consumer Protection here.... Laughing
dalbuie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the spec states 14cfm displacement then I take this to be the volume of air drawn into the piston.

"Displacement CFM" is a fixed number for each different compressor pump. It depends only on the size of the pump's cylinders and the speed at which the pump operates."

I will need to ask, or search for, the CFM at a set PSI.

Most manufacturers seem to quote the same FAD and Displacement measures

http://www.abac.co.uk/belt-driven.htm

What unit would you recommend?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I use is 650l/min at 6 bar. Its about the minimum that I need. I would really prefer one a little larger.

I base that statement on this. A conventional spray gun uses perhaps 250-300 l/min. HVLP's somwhat less. Its bad enough having the compressor running permanently when it is used, but even worse to be forced to wait for it to catch up. So therefore the capacity has to exceed this. The big trouble is, exceeding this by a good amount will put the requirements of the compressor up into the three phase supply range. Thats OK by me, as its a standard feature in houses here, but I am aware that is not the case in the UK.

So therefore I would say. If the only power supply you have is single phase, look for the biggest capacity you can find of that supply, that also has the biggest tank.

Remember also that you will end up purchasing other air tools in the future. You may not think so now, but it is a common enough thing to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: