classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Jensen Interceptor regulator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
grahame

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Jensen Interceptor regulator Reply with quote

My Jensen Interceptor, which I use for classic car hire, has twice failed (in 18 months) due to the regulator failing. On both occasions there have also been problems with the battery - first one was on the car and duff, second one was a duff replacement - which may have contributed to the problem but I'm not sure.

However, two failures seems more than coincidence. Does anyone have any suggestions about what else I should be looking at rather than just replacing the regulator?

Similarly, the wipers have now failed twice - second time on a replacement (original stock) switch.

The car does a high mileage (for a classic) and is otherwise fine!

Any suggestions?
www.greatescapecars.blogspot.com
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grahame,

I assume an Interceptor is new enough to have an alternator. If the ammeter shows a good charge after cold starting then your batteries were probably the cause of the problem. If your charging is intermittent then it might be worth checking that the alternator brushes aren't too worn down for good contact.

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grahame

Duff batteries are pretty rare these days and regulators robust devices in normal conditions. Are you using any form of "fast Charge" battery charging or jump starting?

Some of the older cruder fast chargers will buckle battery plates very quickly, and jump starting can damage the regulator diodes if you remove the leads before the flat battery has reaches a near normal voltage.

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensens usually have the Chrysler V8 engine, do they have the Chrysler electrical system as well?
grahame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Jensen Interceptor Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not sure about the source of the electrical system on the Jensen Interceptor - it's a rag bag and every car seems to be different (not helped by lots of bodging over the years on most cars). My auto electrician won't touch it. The regulator may be parts related - there are stronger aftermarket options out there apparently. The wiper problem could be the motor - it's being stripped and checked anyway. I'll keep you updated, thanks for the help.
www.greatescapecars.blogspot.com
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grahame,

The alternator should be a Chrysler unit and the separate regulator is a simple single coil unit. It measures about 3" long and just over 1" wide with single terminals at each end (one in, one out).

Art
SV8Predator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Grahame,

The alternator should be a Chrysler unit and the separate regulator is a simple single coil unit. It measures about 3" long and just over 1" wide with single terminals at each end (one in, one out).

Art

That's not correct.

The Chrysler regulator is completely different to what you describe and lives behind the front grille on the Interceptor. It must have a very good earth to the surrounding bodywork, the first thing to check before replacing the regulator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: