classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sunbeam Talbot 90 Series IIa restoration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
MikeBoxwell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Sunbeam Talbot 90 Series IIa restoration Reply with quote

My MG Magnette ZA has been feeling a bit neglected over the past few months, so to cheer it up I've sent it into the paintshop for a bright new coat of British Racing Green.

It's all part of an ongoing restoration that moves a step forward every time funds allow. The chromework will have to wait until sometime next year, but at least the car will start looking a bit more presentable now.

Meanwhile, the reason for me neglecting my ZA has been my father's car. He bought himself a Series IIa Sunbeam Talbot 90 earlier this year. Unfortunately, he bought it unseen on eBay and the condition of the car really wasn't as good as described. As a result, we've spent several months restoring the mechanicals to get it back on the road.

Yesterday was the landmark day: we fired the car up, drove it out of the garage and took it for it's first test run. I have to admit there were times I wondered if we'd ever see this day.

I was surprised to find there wasn't a single video of the Sunbeam Talbot 90 on YouTube, so I took the initiative and posted up a short video showing our first test run. You can find it here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ukf-2oQAAWg
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Not all seems well. Reply with quote

Hi to you mike,i bet your dad felt like a million dollars when he took to the road in his latest addition .Road tests on cars bought on ebay is a must but it`s always advisable to take someone with a little knowledge to give an honest opinion of road test ability .unfortunately the "sold as seen" syndrome still operates and your dad wonders if he`s done the right thing ! When he put it in first gear, all those worries subside a little road test and i bet he had a smile on his face. A little smoke appeared on accelaration but hey;--he`s enjoying life and taking time out to remember the old fashion cars of yesteryear.
Hope every thing turns out ok in the future.

cheers----Ray the Rocker.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I always had soft spot for the Talbot 90 (Sheila van Damm and Pat Moss et al). Never had one but did succum to a '58 Minx a '60 Rapier and a '64 Alpine.

Ok perhaps there are a few problems with the doors but it does look like a nice car and the engine sounds good. I guess your dad just had the choke out to give the black smoke signals at take-off.

Very nice to see it on video too. Gives much more of a feel. More please!

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an old ex-RAF airfield not far from here, and while wandering amidst the tumbledown buildings (its on common land) I found an 80 or a 90 in a building, that one time had been used as a one-man garage business. The thing was falling apart, and I think last time I peered through the rusting window frames (all glass gone) of that particular building, the S-T had disappeared. I must have some piccies of it somewhere....

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
imfinlay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

What's the garage structure you have?

Ian
MikeBoxwell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That garage is a tent! Unfortunately the garage was a wee bit small to work around the car, so we got ourselves a car tent earlier this year so we had enough room to work around the car.

It's been very good, actually, and I can recommend it to anyone who has the space to put one - a good temporary workshop.

Unfortunately, my dad has decided to sell the car. He's 6' 4" tall and simply cannot make himself comfortable behind the seat. You may have noticed on the video there are a couple of shots where the drivers door isn't fully closed - the reason is, there isn't room for my dad to fit in and close the door!

He's also got some health issues at the moment, so this particular car is going to have to go.

Mind you, we're not getting rid of the classic car bug just yet - he's after a 1960s Triumph 2000, or a Rover P6 or WHY...

If anyone is interested in this car, it's currently in Yateley in Hampshire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: