classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Me and my 53 Anglia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Me and my 53 Anglia Reply with quote

Hello guys,

Found this forum last night so thought i'd join up. I'm 24 and been into cars since i can remember thanks to my grandad and my dad. I have a rodded 52 Anglia but i wont go on about that as this seems more of a place for my stock(ish) Anglia.

Anyway, The only history i know is that it was in a barn for 15 years before being pulled out and MOT'd. It seems to have had some kind of restoration in the past. I took it off the road a while back to rebuild the engine which has now turned into a re-wire and general tidy up.

When i bought it....

Engine done....

As it stood about 15 minutes ago....

As you can see i'm not doing a full resto. I like the patina this car has so it's staying. I just want it to be reliable enough to use everyday hence the re-wire and engine rebuild.

I have also been building this 100E sidevalve motor for the future. I think these motors are much better as they have an oil filter and water pump. I had it bored +40 and it's going back together slowly. I have an Aquaplane head and inlet with twin SU carbs to go on it.

I think that's about it, i need 1 tappet for the 100E engine if anyone has one?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig, and welcome to the forum.

Nice to see the pictues of your resto. Its good also to see a youngster getting into the hobby. Thats something a lot of us oldies like to encourage.

By all means post pictures of your Rod. There are others on here with -how shall we say - non standard cars... Laughing
stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and Welcome Aboard! Very Happy

As UJ says, please post the rod pics, we like em all!
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, here's my rod.

Forgot to mention i reversed the eyes on the front spring of the 53. I've seen other people do it this way so i thought i'd give it a go. Remove the bottom leaf and slowly bend the other way untill you meet the original curve.

stuchamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent rod.....I gotta get me one! Cool
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two great cars there!! you'll find there are quite a few sidevalvers (and ex-sidevalvers!) on here Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stock Anglia simply because it needs work!

I find the planning for, and bit by bit restoration of an oldie the best part of ownership.

Oh, and welcome Craig!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Welcome from a fellow sidevalve owner, and simmilar age too, I am 22.

Great cars, I have to say I prefere the orriginal one, but I am a little old fashioned, I have nothing against you for rodding it, I must add. Very Happy

Cheers

Dave
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, You cant beat the original for just driving out in the country and getting lost but with todays traffic on busy roads i'd much rather be in the rod. Is that your truck in the pic? Any more pics?
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, Craig.

All rods are cool & whilst some purists may frown upon them, I think they look good & turn as many heads.

I also run a non-stock motor - a 52 Dodge pick-up with a 4" roof chop & 350 sbc. There's pics on the forum somewhere, but I'm just home from jamming at the pub & too tired to remember where I put them.

What rod shows are you attending this year? Be nice to see yours 'in the flesh'.

Edit: I've just remembered - the pics are in the 'Dodge Pick-Ups & Trucks' section...

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
Craig

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Job-Rated, I can kind of understand why some purists frown on rods BUT at the end of the day it is another classic on the road rather than rotting in a field.

I'm not sure if i'll insure the rod this year due to house buying but if i do i'll be at Billing in it for sure. I will also be at the Nostalgia nationals and the Hot rod drags but hopefully in the stocker.

Do you go to any of those?

Off to find pics of your truck now.
Job-Rated

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be out of the country from May 28th until July 13th, but I'll make as many shows as I can before & after, rest assured.

I agree with you that even a rod means a classic has been saved.
I have a good excuse for mine - the roof chop & V8 were installed before I bought it - I've just injected some new life into it.

http://www.loosechange-band.co.uk/
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Hi Dave, You cant beat the original for just driving out in the country and getting lost but with todays traffic on busy roads i'd much rather be in the rod. Is that your truck in the pic? Any more pics?

Hi

It is my Ford, have a look in "What I am up to" in "Your restorations" I tend to stick most stuff on my cars in there. I haven't recently due to having no computer, and using the family one, as mine has broken.

Cheers

Dave
Greg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig,
Great choice of Car Cool I have a Pop too, totally standard which I will keep that way, but they do lend themselves to Customising very well! Your one looks great. As you say it's another one saved and on the road rather than rotting.
I bought a wreck of one once and gave it a 6'' 'Roof chop' and had the usual V8 to go in, unfortunately was still at my parents at the time and had 'too many vehicles' Embarassed apparently! So some had to go Crying or Very sad
keep posting as I love to see Pops & Anglia's
All the best,
Greg
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a day on it yesterday and managed to get the wing and door bolted up after the bottom a post repair.

Also started filling the other side....

They had been done in the past but it wasn't pretty and mostly braze. Got it running real sweet yesterday too and i have to say it almost sounds better than the V6. So quiet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: