classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Arc eye & welding helmets etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Arc eye & welding helmets etc Reply with quote

Hi

Well, I seem to have had this last night, thankfully only mildly, but it was sore enough, still got a good headache!

I think the story I have learnt is the battery opperated welding masks are not as good as the solar ones, as they runn out of battery power mid weld!

Does any one know if it can be triggered by the shear amount of welding, even with a good mask on, as it is still a bright light? I mean I probably did 8 or 9 hours with a 20 min break yesterday to get the trailer fixed, it broke it's axle on the main road.

Cheers

Dave
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have the right grade screen too a lot of the cheap ones only go as far din 10 but you really need 15 and also the reaction time is important min 20,000th of a second a lot are half this and even though 10,000th sounds fast, with all day welding it will build up and you will get pains in the eyes and headaches Rolling Eyes
If you are going to work hours at a time in the future invest in a promask. Embarassed

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
wrinx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Arc eye Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:

I think the story I have learnt is the battery opperated welding masks are not as good as the solar ones, as they runn out of battery power mid weld!

I've been looking at these and am a bit confused, some say solar battery powered Confused

Such as THIS one.

wrinx

welder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, it's very unusual to get arc-eye whilst welding on your own, particularly when using a self-darkening mask. Arc-eye is usually caught when working with, or alongside, someone else who is doing the welding....a tangential glance at the arc is often all that it takes.
I imagine that you suffered from too much welding in a given timescale and, possibly, from the use of a less than ideal mask.
I'm often surprised by the people who don't think twice about the capital expenditure involved with quality welding sets yet are reluctant to spend a further £140 on a decent, self-darkening, mask/helmet.
My son and I use Eyetech helmets with a filter range of 10 to 15. No batteries are required and the last time I suffered from sore eyes was a few weeks ago when I worked for 12 hours a day for 3 days running. No headache though!

Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there anything from the fumes during mig welding to be concerned about? I'm sure I read or heard something once on the subject but can't remember the details

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
welder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, this is a wide ranging topic.
When TIG welding aluminium, ozone is generated. After doing so for a few days I can smell seaweed, I swear it's true!
Arc (stick) welding of steel certainly does generate fumes which can be seen and ingested. Not great.
MIG welding of new, clean steel is, in our case, often augmented with the use of anti-spatter spray which is vegetable oil based and generates light fumes. Visible but not unpleasant.
MIG welding of/on old steel components which carry surface corrosion/paint/oil/grease etc, regardless of best efforts at cleaning, can generate several types of fumes.
In summary, all welding processes are best carried out in suitable, well ventilated environments. If we have any concerns or doubts we position a large fan/fans as near as is suitable to the job in hand.

I hope that this is helpful.

Ian
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think the new steel we have is thickly coated with grease, it does give off fumes, but nothing like welding second hand or galv, then you need lots of milk.

I am sure you are right, too much welding, I had it again on monday night, but had done hell of a lot of welding. The masks we have are about £300, quite nice, and on tuesday think I set it a shade darker, and the delay much shorter, could be that and the fact of lots of welding. Mig shades are 9 - 11 and stick around 12 or 13 and 14 for 300+amps. Do you go on simmilar figures?

I think we are using a miller mig, what are you using Welder? The miller is brand new and seems great.

Cheers

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, fully agree with your appraisal of the Miller. We have a Miller 300P Syncrowave TIG set for aluminium and stainless steel work, it's the business!
For steel work we have MIG sets by Migatronic and Esab in the workshop. On the van we carry a Honda petrol engined combined stick welder/240 and 110 volt generator and a single phase MIG welder by Esab.
The shading levels you are using are pretty much the same as ours. I tend to go a shade darker if welding onsite in very bright conditions, my son doesn't bother. We both always set the delay at maximum/fastest.

In case anyone in the Midlands area, or elsewhere, has need of welding repairs to aluminium components or steel fabrications feel free to send me a message. We speak fluent Classic!

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, fully agree with your appraisal of the Miller. We have a Miller 300P Syncrowave TIG set for aluminium and stainless steel work, it's the business!
For steel work we have MIG sets by Migatronic and Esab in the workshop. On the van we carry a Honda petrol engined combined stick welder/240 and 110 volt generator and a single phase MIG welder by Esab.
The shading levels you are using are pretty much the same as ours. I tend to go a shade darker if welding onsite in very bright conditions, my son doesn't bother. We both always set the "delay" at maximum/fastest.

In case anyone in the Midlands area, or elsewhere, has need of welding repairs to aluminium components or steel fabrications feel free to send me a message. We speak fluent Classic!

Ian

OOPS! Moment of stupidity Very Happy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Going slightly off topic now, what is the work you do then, what do you weld?

I used to really stuggle with gas welding, so I read all about it on the internet about 3 years ago, and haven't had time/the chance to have a play since, anyhow, I did yesterday, and what do you know, I can now gas weld. I was allways a person saying you can't learn stuff by reading, in this case I have done just that!

Now I want to have a play with the Tig machine. Any tips?

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting thread gents, worth moving it into one of the resto categories so that it doesn't get lost??

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You can put it where ever you like, as long as I know where it has gone, as I like talking about one of my favourite pass times!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:

Ian

Do you make fuel tanks? I'll probably be scouting around for some quotes soon to get replacements for the Dodge lorry made (2 tanks, I think 20 gal capacity each)

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You would not believe what was put in the skip at work today, I was too late to save them, after they were dropped from the forks. I am not sure if I should see if they are any good still???

The old Oil filled Stick welders, are they Lincoln, or something, dark green in coulour?

There must be 5 or 10 in there, they have emptied the oil too, on the floor by the skip! what a mess!

Think I will leave them there, shame as a nice stick welder would be handy as a spare! I am sure they would find new homes too! Big Compressor went in too, Cylinder mower, numerous engines, brigs and stratton type..... (The list continues!)

Cheers

Dave
wrinx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welder wrote:
Rick, this is a wide ranging topic.
When TIG welding aluminium, ozone is generated. After doing so for a few days I can smell seaweed, I swear it's true!
Arc (stick) welding of steel certainly does generate fumes which can be seen and ingested. Not great.
MIG welding of new, clean steel is, in our case, often augmented with the use of anti-spatter spray which is vegetable oil based and generates light fumes. Visible but not unpleasant.
MIG welding of/on old steel components which carry surface corrosion/paint/oil/grease etc, regardless of best efforts at cleaning, can generate several types of fumes.
In summary, all welding processes are best carried out in suitable, well ventilated environments. If we have any concerns or doubts we position a large fan/fans as near as is suitable to the job in hand.

I hope that this is helpful.

Ian

Never used to be too bothered by steel weldingfumes, but using TIG for brass was plain nasty!

Zinc fumes = flu symptoms after only a couple of hours.

We eventually got hold of some charcoal masks but they weren't that great either.

I also used to do a lot of silver soldering, the fluxes are bit nasty apparently Confused

wrinx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: