classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cost of building a decent garage block?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Cost of building a decent garage block? Reply with quote

I know I should talk to architects etc. but I'm also aware that a few people on here have built their own garages. I'm looking at moving house and there is room to demolish some rotten sheds/stores/single garage and build a decent triple garage. I am thinking of a low brick built plinth then thermalite blocks clad in timber to blend in with the rural style. What do people reckon a very rough cost £20k? £25k I have no idea. Rich...
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich

Somewhere on this forum Shocked I have posted the costs of my own garage which is a 8M * 6M double skinned brick (block on the inside Cheshire brick on the outside) with a traditional tiled roof, and a large storage area upstairs, from memory the materials were about £6K, I built it my self. if I had had it built it would have been about £15K. Cladding rather than traditional brickwork for the outer skin should greatly reduce the costs. Very Happy
Dave
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave that's encouraging! I found this thread http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3989&highlight=brick and it looks impressive.
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest quote I had from a local builder for a 10.2 metre x 6.7 metre garage was £35k. That is the reason I am doing as much as I can myself.

Here is a short movie of the work so far
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2006, having been saving up for several years, I created my dream garage, this post does go on a bit but some of you may find my experiences of interest.

I previously had a 20 foot square double garage, with two small rooms behind it, my office and a utility room. It had a flat roof that had seen better days and was in need of new boards and felt that would have cost £4k.

At the side of it I had a 10 ft sideway.

So we pulled the garage down

And built this: (unfortunately the shots of it under construction were lost when the card in my camera broke in half)

It comfortably takes three cars, and in front of the Volvo is another area that would take another car but I use it as my workshop area. There are doors on the back so I can still drive into the back garden! I extended by office by four feet into the space. It has a 30ft by 20ft loft with full head room that has rapidly filled up with car spares.

The wall of number plates has been featured before on this forum when it was used as a backdrop to a feature in Intersection Magazine.

I had an Architect draw up the plans, and the foundation calculations were rejected by the Council, and he told me that they required it to be piled. at a cost of £350 I had all the piling designed and then the best quote was just over £20k just to get back to floor level. I went to the Council myself and was told that they didn't require piling, just an extra three feet on the depth of the foundations. I sacked the Architect, modifed the plans myself and resubmitted them and they were immediately passed!

I sent the drawings to several local builders and had quotes for £42k, £61k and an astonishing £72k.

So I decided on a self build. Travis Perkins offer a service for £45 where they provide a detailed bill of quantities covering everything. This meant I had estimated costs for the demolition, the groundwork and foundations, the brickwork, the roof timbers and tiles, electrics and so on. Armed with these figures I was able to find individual tradesmen whose fixed price quotes came close to the estimates. The whole build only took 8 weeks and the total cost was £23,500.

An estate agent reckoned the new garage block added over £60k to the value of my house, so even the OH accepted it was a good idea!!
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, that's really interesting, if I do go ahead would you mind if I e-mail you for a few pointers.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich

I would be pleased to help you or anyone else with info on my build.
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an alternative, have you considered a wooden garage? My one measures 16' x 25' (old money). It has room for three small cars, motorcycle, workbench lathe etc'.
I know a bigger one would be needed by many but that should be no problem if it is specially made by a local manufacturer, as mine was.

I laid the membrane and concrete base myself (readymix).and the garage was erected in a day. It has now been up for about four years and there has never been any damp or leaks, and seems warmer than a brick-built one. The total cost was under £5000.
I have stained it dark green to blend in with the surrounding foliage.

wrinx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:

....quotes for £42k, £61k and an astonishing £72k.

Where on earth do these quotes come from!? You can build a house for £72k!!!

Priced to not get the job?

Impressive garage though Cool

wrinx

wrinx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigtin wrote:
As an alternative, have you considered a wooden garage? My one measures 16' x 25'....The total cost was under £5000.

I've been looking at these recently, in preparation for our future move. Pretty sure we won't be able to buy somewhere with a garage to match my current 15' x 25' monster...so reading your costings confirms what I've seen on various company's websites Cool

wrinx

pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the recession hitting the building industry such quotes may well be a thing of the past. I know for a fact that some of our local builders are desperate for work. This year could be a good time to build a garage. Wink
Keith D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing in mind that I do not live in the UK, nor am I familiar with UK building requirements, but does nobody in Britain build steel garages? They are the cheapest garages in Australia and I have not heard of anybody having problems with them.

I have a 9m x 6m x 2.4m high (30' X 20' X 8' high) steel garage with twin roller doors finished in cream coloured colorbond profiled sheeting. (There are dozens of colours available) The roofs are gabled with a shallow angle. These are by far the cheapest garages to erect in Australia and last for many, many years. The concrete slab and electrical wiring costs would be the same as for any other type of garage. My garage is an economy one, without major roof joists. It is perfectly adequate for car storage, but not for hauling engines out.

I also have a steel workshop 9m x 6m x 3m high (30' X 20' X 9' high) that is similar to look at but has a heavy duty, engineered open web joist type roof truss that enables me to hang a winch below and to lift V8 and vintage cast iron engines complete with gearbox with no visible deflection. There are two large sliding doors. The cost of the heavy duty workshop would be about 60% greater than for the lightweight garage.

Keith D
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

I thought I was looking at a bush Pigtin, thats amazing!!

Sorry Embarassed

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greeney in France wrote:
Quote:

Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing

I thought I was looking at a bush Pigtin, thats amazing!!

Sorry Embarassed

Sorry Greeney, that IS a bush. I'll post a picture of the garage later Embarassed

This is the original garage when I first moved in... took me a couple of days to find it. Wink

Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrinx wrote:
Brian M wrote:

....quotes for £42k, £61k and an astonishing £72k.

Where on earth do these quotes come from!? You can build a house for £72k!!!

Priced to not get the job?

Impressive garage though Cool

wrinx

That is exactly what I said to the 72K builder! But he said he did want the work, when I suggested a £50k reduction he walked away telling me I was a dreamer!

It would be interesting to ask again now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: