classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Sunroof issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Sunroof issue Reply with quote

the Alvis has a sliding sunroof, when its shut it has a 1/4 inch gap all around it and a trough under the gap that goes all around with 4, 1/2 inch drain pipes which drain to the 4 wheel arches.

I've been doing a bit of homework and found that the drain pipes are prone to blocking, creating the trough to overflow into the car (a common fault)
when the car is done it will have a brand new leather interior, at a cost I've been quoted at £2000.

I'm really tempted to cut a sheet of steel and weld it in, hence no sunroof, but this will take away originality and I'm guessing de-value the car.

this car is not and will not be garaged, so it will be out in all weathers so......what do you think? should I........

a) re-fit original sunroof (not a problem I have all the parts) and risk the trough over-flowing into the car?

b) weld a sheet of steel in the hole so the sunroof can't leak at all? (have a dry interior but de-value the car)

jason
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,

The work that you have done on your rare Alvis so far is outstanding. I really encourage you to restore the sunroof to original, and just make sure that you don't let the drain pipes become blocked!!!

Regards - Keith D
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Jason,

The work that you have done on your rare Alvis so far is outstanding. I really encourage you to restore the sunroof to original, and just make sure that you don't let the drain pipes become blocked!!!

Regards - Keith D

hi keith, it would be good to keep it original, but I've been told that the pipes need clearing with pipe cleaners every few days, its only a 10 minute job but it still needs doing, I'd like it original then if we ever get any sun Confused I could open the sunroof Cool

jason
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same decision to make when I was restoring my 1932 Austin Seven. When I studied the sun roof, I could not believe that it would keep the water out, because when it rains in Western Australia, it rains - trust me!!! (I also have newly restored leather seats)

I only have two drains for the roof and they are slots in front of and above, the windscreen, so that when it is raining, water cascades down either side of the screen. They are very easily blocked by leaves. I always check that they are clear before using the car, it only takes a moment.

The sun over here is far too hot to open the roof in the summer, but in autumn and spring...WOW!!! It's certainly worth having!!

Keith D
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, it is really nice to have a sliding sunroof and opening windscreen on cars, of that period, when the weather is hot.
I was faced with the same dilemma when restoring my Austin Ten and I've never regretted keeping it original. But one word of advice: try not to park it pointing downhill in heavy rain as it's easier for it to leak at the back of the sliding roof.

Don.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any blockages with mine in more than 15 years. Having said that, the car is garaged but you have to ask what is going to block it. In unrestored cars there is a good chance of rust flakes but if you have treated the tray then the next most likely will be leaves but you can easily check for trapped leaves when you suspect there is a risk. There is also quite a bit of redundancy in the system and you can probably tolerate a blockage in one or two drains without the tray overflowing during average rain showers.

You describe a gap all round but the mechanism for locking the roof panel should raise it so that the front and rear are fairly well sealed off and it's only the gaps down the sides that are exposed.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: