classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1949 Anglia for sale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: 1949 Anglia for sale Reply with quote

Thinking of moving on the Anglia. I built it for my wifes first car. She still hasnt passed her test yet but were thinking of getting something a little easier for her to drive.

Brief rundown.

Car was in a garage since 1967 till i got it 2 years ago ish.

Car was rotten but origional.

I spent ages welding it up. All rot was cut out and all new panels were but welded in. NO lap joints to rust again!!

There is NO filler in this car AT ALL.

paint is origional factory paint but nicely scruffy.

Car is SUPER solid!

All origional interior with origional headlining/carpets. All in very good condition except the front carpets. There understandably a little thread bare

Comes with origional optional extra ashtrays and bluemells wooden steering wheel.

Stock mechanicals.
Engine rebuilt and runs strong. New timing chain, 10hp engine with 8hp head. Aquaplane inlet/exhaust manifolds, twin SU carbs.
High lift cam, heavy duty valve springs, adjustable lifters, copetition 100e clutch. All cleaned and repainted origional factory colours.

Reversed eye front spring, period tube shock conversion.

Stock brakes (surprisingly good)

Drives great! Ive done 2 400 mile trips in it with no problems whatsoever.

Ive had 75mph+ out of it

Vac wipers.

Origional vinyl roof, seal has been re-sealed but comes with a new roof seal. Also needs a new front screen seal, supplied, maybe even fitted as its on the 'to do asap' list.

Larger rear tyres.
New front tyres

Oh, block has been ported and flowed and ports matched to inlet/exhaust manifolds.

Custom exhaust with jetter silcencer, side exit, easily changed back to stock but i just built something with what i had.

Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of photo's of the rebuild.

I also rewired it and it has halogen headlight bulbs.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Quote:
Thinking of moving on the Anglia. I built it for my wifes first car. She still hasnt passed her test yet but were thinking of getting something a little easier for her to drive.

Just one point, if she intends to atke the test in what ever you get,
Quote:
Cars or vans presented for test must be:

a four wheeled vehicle of no more than 3500 kilograms (kg) maximum authorised mass (MAM)
capable of a speed of at least 100 kilometres per hour (km/h) or 62.5 miles per hour (mph)The car or van must also be fitted with:

a seatbelt for the examiner
a passenger head restraint, this needn't be adjustable but must be fitted as an integral part of the seat - 'slip on' type head restraints aren't permitted
an interior mirror for the examiner's use

L-plates displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle but not interfering with the driver's or examiner's view
a speedometer that measures speed in miles per hour and kilometres per hour
The vehicle must be legal and roadworthy and have no warning lights showing ie the airbag warning light.

I have highlighted the items which an older car might not comply with.

Of course if she is going to use a school car for test, you can ignopre those items for practise, though I would recomend the additional mirror for the supervising driver.
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: anglia setup. Reply with quote

Hi to you graeme,looks tidy for it`s age but there`s one thing that might put me off buying it.A tow rope that looks like it`s a part of the bumper !!
Is it there to assist morning startup or to attatch it to the parking meter so no one steals it---hehe..

Cheers---Ray the Rocker....
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Quote:

Just one point, if she intends to atke the test in what ever you get,
Quote:
Cars or vans presented for test must be:

a four wheeled vehicle of no more than 3500 kilograms (kg) maximum authorised mass (MAM)
capable of a speed of at least 100 kilometres per hour (km/h) or 62.5 miles per hour (mph)The car or van must also be fitted with:

a seatbelt for the examiner
a passenger head restraint, this needn't be adjustable but must be fitted as an integral part of the seat - 'slip on' type head restraints aren't permitted
an interior mirror for the examiner's use

L-plates displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle but not interfering with the driver's or examiner's view
a speedometer that measures speed in miles per hour and kilometres per hour
The vehicle must be legal and roadworthy and have no warning lights showing ie the airbag warning light.

I have highlighted the items which an older car might not comply with.

Of course if she is going to use a school car for test, you can ignopre those items for practise, though I would recomend the additional mirror for the supervising driver.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

No, she wasnt going to take her test in this car!

For the record though, it will do more than 62.5 miles an hour. Ive had 75mph out of it and there was a little more to come!
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: anglia setup. Reply with quote

Ray the rocker wrote:
Hi to you graeme,looks tidy for it`s age but there`s one thing that might put me off buying it.A tow rope that looks like it`s a part of the bumper !!
Is it there to assist morning startup or to attatch it to the parking meter so no one steals it---hehe..

Cheers---Ray the Rocker....

The tow rope was found in the boot, origional 50's hemp tow rope. Didnt know what to do with it so we wrapped it round the bumper.

The car has an alternator by the way, starts first turn of the engine every time Smile

Runs very clean.

I know it looks ratty, i put alot of effort into keeping it looking like that. Its totaly sorted though Smile
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some build pics

Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well mention the asking price too??

what are the wheels, VW?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did i not put the price Rolling Eyes

£2000. Bargain! It cost me £1200 as a rotten stocker that hadnt moved for 40 years!

Wheels are stock, i put that VW steel on to see how it sat. The offsets dont work on the back, no room for a tyre, and the stud pattern is slightly wrong.

I did build a set of vw steels for it though, 4.5" front and 6" rear, re-rimmed with audi rims and a modified stud pattern. Never finished them off (need final wleding) but they can go with the car if there wanted.

I also have a ballamy split IFS front axle/steering set up too, allrebuilt and re-bushed.

Ill get some interior pics, its basically mint but with one rip in the eadliner and bad front carpets.
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had gone un-noticed, the wheel trims and wind defectors are origional accessories and very rare! Also has factory bakerlite ashtrays to match the bakerlite dash Smile

Semaphores work and the brake lights flash as indicators using relays, like american cars.
Graeme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior pics.

All very good except front carpets and a 5" rip in the headlining by the drivers B pillar

Headlining below rear wingow is just a little dirty, pics made it look dirtier.
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: anglia back seat. Reply with quote

Oh the painfull memories of that dreaded rear seat graeme---same colour as my left cheek after having a brush with the hand of a not so willing female.How did we ever canoodle in the space provided !!!
Memories of courting ---Sadly in the distant past.
Suffering with financial cramp at the moment so a bid from me is not forthcoming ,but a trip down memory lane has joyfully jangled the brain of an old age pensioner ---thankyou.Hope you get the two grand---it`s a snip !!

Cheers---- Ray the Rocker.....
Graeme

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Theres plenty of room in the back for all sorts of activities Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: