classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Advice on brush painting a commercial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that has come out nicely, what brushes did you use?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow really nice finish
I need some more info on this please, maybe my next project (if theres any) will be done this way, much cheaper than a respray!!
Timstopp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone - thanks!
Rick - brushes were by Purdey (american ) but came highly recommended by Craftmaster (who I got the paint from)
Bob2 - sensible preperation is the key - if you Pm me I can tell you exactly what I did (and where I went wrong - back panel of car!)
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timstopp wrote:

Bob2 - sensible preperation is the key - if you Pm me I can tell you exactly what I did (and where I went wrong - back panel of car!)

Hi Tim,

I would be interested in your preparation notes too and I'm sure there will be other forum members who'd like to achieve your standards. Could you broadcast them?

Thanks,

Peter (very impressed)
Timstopp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: notes on coachpainting Reply with quote

OK
After much research and even more practical experimentation, here are my notes and tips on coachpainting.
Notes
1) Do buy primer, undercoat and enamel from the same manufacturer. Not all enamels are equal. Do get PPA paint adjuster. You will need it.
2) Use high build zinc primer. I used this both on panels that I had dipped back to bare metal and panels where I left the existing paint in situ.
3) Use high build undercoat of the correct colour for the enamel topcoat.
4) Get really good brushes I used Purdey synthetic brushes which were recommended by people who coachpaint for a living. I bought a 2" and a 3", but in truth only really used the 3"(it's more versatile than it sounds)
5)1930 4 door saloon, used 3/4 litre of each enamel, undercoat and primer.
6)Do not be tempted into a Rolls Royce finish on an Austin 7, do not put an Austin 7 finish on a Rolls Royce. Be realistic.
7)Wear latex gloves at all times - grease in finger prints will ruin your day.
Cool Plan your painting - remember you always need a wet edge, on large panels try to use a swage line if you are unsure if this is possible.

What I did
1) removed trim and panels and doors and anyhing else that was feasible. It is easier to paint a door flat than upright!
2) Mask off anything at this stage and do a really good job of this.
3)for already painted panels Start sanding using 400 grit, by hand using a block and using DA sander. Aim for a consistent dull finish, this will allow you to see dents (darker areas) and high areas (where you sand through to the original undercoat, primer or metal)
4) Panel beat dents or use filler sparingly. I used a scratch filling compound only as I dislike filler. Wipe down car to remove all dust and then clean panels with panel wipe.
5) apply primer to previously painted surfaces and bare metal. This stuff goes on really thick and leaves really bad brush marks. Use PPA adjuster(as a guide I used about 5% on a moderate day (18c) to stop it drying too quickly which keeps brush marks to a minimum.
6)sand using 400 grit, by hand using a block and using DA sander. This will create clouds of dust and once again you will be able to see paint defect/lows highs etc. You must correct any you wish these at this stage.You should sand until brush marks are pretty much all gone.
7)Wipe down panels to remove dust, wash with panel wipe, wipe with a tack rag and then paint with undercoat. Stand back and admire how well it is going!
8)Sand carefully so as not to go through undercoat (I used 400 grit lightly (you can use 800 grit and it will take you twice as long...), remove all brush marks. You must achieve a nice even matt and smooth surface
9) examine carefully, this is the state of paint that will show through under the gloss.
10)Wipe off panels to remove all dust, and then wash with panel wipe again, wipe with a tack rag immediately before.....
11)Paint with enamel top coat, this need to go on as thick as possible on flat panels, and as thick as possible on vertical ones but so that it does not run or slump. I used 10% PPA which gave me a working time with the enamel of about 15-20 minutes. This means you must complete painting any large panels in this time. On vertical panels lay off vertically (this helps prevent runs) Paint somewhere that has no dust in the atmosphere and wear a hat, even if you are bald.
Do be amazed as after 5 minutes or so any brush marks flow out and leave you with a mirror finish. Do not be too concerned about any runs or paint slumping. Enamel goes on so thick there is plenty of opportunity to knock it back after about 5 weeks with 1200 wet and dry. Indeed the paint is so shiny it looks wet, and maybe it would look better cut back in any case.
12) the joy of coachpainting is that now the prep has been done correctly, you can sand back the topcoat and apply another quickly and with ease should the need arise.
13) I am happy to answer any questions and can be contacted tim at essexnetworking dot co dot uk

It really is worth doing as you get a great sense of satisfaction, and the cost of the materials and paint came to under £150. It is also nice to see how amazed people are that painting with brushes is as good as (if not better than) spray painting.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fascinating, thanks Tim. I'm tempted to have a go myself sometime now! perhaps with something small like the 32 Minor one day Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent write up, but have a couple of questions, Embarassed
what is a wet edge and what are swage lines and what is a tack rag.

Sorry if this might sound stupid but I am not english !!!

I am tempted to do it some day but do they have many colours available?
I'd be tempted to do the surf blue mini but do not think that surf blue would feature in their colour chart!!!!
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much for an excellent write-up. I wonder if Rick could cut this out of the thread and make it sticky.

Well done!

Peter
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wet edge is a line of wet paint to which you bring your next loaded paintbrush towards thus allowing wet paint to merge with wet paint and blending together. If you do not have a wet edge say, in the middle of a panel you will find it impossible to blend the wet paint into the dry edge of the dry paint. Hope this makes sense Shocked

Swage lines are contour lines of the bodywork which if you paint up to a swage line it is much easier to disguise the end of the paint.

Tac rags are for wiping down the prepared bodywork before painting to remove any residue, dust particles etc

First class paint job, you realise there will be a queue at your door for your services now
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy What a great job...well done Very Happy
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All clear now thanks 47p2
do you need a tack rag cause I use clean ones I have in the garage with with thinner?
Is this good?
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tac rags are made from special material with cleaning solvents specially designed to remove grease etc. Using a rag from the garage usually contains lint particles which can leave small particles on the bodywork prior to painting and you wont see them till the paint is applied
Timstopp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the panel wipe is used to remove surface contaminants such as grease, traces of wax, fingerprints etc
Tack rags, are impregnated with sticky stuff (I don't know what - they feel slightly waxy) and are intended to remove all dust particles, bits of hair, swarf, lint from using the panel wipe etc , and should be used immediately before painting.
That is how I used them anyway - I am always ready to be corrected Smile
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from where do you buy them, from paint suppliers?
Timstopp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, go to any decent vehicle paint supplier and they will have proper tack rags and panel wipe, not a good idea to get them from a local autofactor .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: