classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Southend Motor & Aero Co.Ltd (SMAC Group)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Southend Motor & Aero Co.Ltd (SMAC Group) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out some more about the above dealership, which was the main Austin/BMC/BL/Austin-Rover dealership in this area and supplied both my Austin Cambridge and Wolseley 18/85 when new. The company was around in the mid-1950's onwards and probably pre-war as well.

What I do know - by the 1980's it was an Austin-Rover dealership and the main building was on Priory Crescent, Southend, next to the old Ecko building. In about 1990 it became Lookers Rover, then Lookers Renault, then finally Toomey Renault before the company relocated to a new about three years ago and the building is currently derelict.

I would like to find out anything about the earlier history of this company, where they used to be based prior to the 1980's, any old photographs or anything like that.

Thanks! Very Happy
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the 1949/1950 RAC Handbook, they were located at Elmer Approach, Southend-On-Sea if that helps?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
According to the 1949/1950 RAC Handbook, they were located at Elmer Approach, Southend-On-Sea if that helps?

R

Thanks Rick, it doesn't say the number the building was located at does it?

Unfortunately nearly the whole of Elmer Approach has been redeveloped with the University of Essex and a multi-storey carpark so it doesn't look like the building is still there.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H wrote:
Rick wrote:

R

Thanks Rick, it doesn't say the number the building was located at does it?

Sorry no that's all it gives. I had a look in the 1928/1929 Handbook but there's no mention in there at all - either the garage didn't exist then, or else it wasn't an RAC Approved garage at that time.

R

PS it seems that they had a place in Basildon too at one time.
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked my 1929 AA handbook and there's no mention in there either.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
from;
http://www.basildon.com/history/chronology/20002009.html
March 2008
The Icon luxury apartment block in Southernhay, Basildon, officially opened by leader of Basildon Council, Malcolm Buckley. This new residential development of 121 1 and 2 bedroomed luxury apartments, with prices starting at £159,995, was built by Hollybrook Homes. It stands on a site once occupied by the S.M.A.C. (Southend Motor & Aero Co.) who opened a showroom/workshop and Mobil filling station in 1962. This business later became Lookers and lastly Motor Market before the site fell into disuse in the early 2000s.

This shows that the company was also operating in Basildon in the '60s.

They still have a listing at companies house.
Quote:

Company #:

Company:
SOUTHEND MOTOR & AERO CO. LTD

Address: 648-656 LONDON ROAD

WESTCLIFF-ON-SEA
SS0 9HN

Maybe someone there would have some early pictures of their premises.

I suspect that they were involved in the prewar use of S'end airport, possibly connected with the flying club, it is suggested on the avaiation forum that they may have built pou-de-ciels

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10

Last edited by Penman on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1956 AA handbook shows Middleton Garage on Elmer Approach - Austin agents, Phone 48222.

In 1956 the other garages in Southend were Edwin Butler, Holmes & Smith, Oasis, Storys & Victoria. Nothing relevant in Basildon "incl new town" (!), Westcliffe or Leigh.
michael1703

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% definite, but i think there might be a tiny bit of land left where smac were is still there, they occupied the land on 'roundacre' between the two railway bridges of station way and nether mayne, they occupied a long thin strip of land with the workshop area probably under the development, but the bit they parked their cars on with bunting on poles stretched towards the roundacre roundabout put ss14 1dh in to google maps and you see gala bingo, the land just to the right is where the new cars were on display
Richard H

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1985 SMAC group keyring which shows the Basildon branch, as well as branches in Southend, Thorpe Bay, Hadleigh and Westcliff I think, as well as a bodyshop in Forest Gate. I'll have to find that.

Other old local dealerships were Kennings (Morris), they were based in London Road, Leigh-on-Sea in the late 1960's, Stewart & Ardern in Westcliff (Morris) Woodyatt Motors (Vauxhall) who operated out of the site now occupied by the derelict Geoff Bray Vauxhall showroom on Milton Road in the 1920's and 1930's, and Perrys (Ford) still on the same site at Kent Elms Corner, now called Essex Ford. There was also a Rootes dealer and a Standard-Triumph, one of which was based in Sutton Road IIRC, but I can't remember the names.
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can provide a bit more information from personal contacts with SMAC.

Around 1974 I responded to an advert for an Administration Manager at SMAC's. I went through three or four interviews with various Directors and finally with the Chairman, founder and owner, Mr Lintott Senior. His two sons were Directors and told me they wanted younger Managers in the firm but "The Old Man" preferred more aged staff! The sons briefed me on what to say and what not to say in the final interview, but "The Old Man" whilst being polite to me, really only asked one question "How old are you?" The successful applicant was 30 years older than me!!

I seem to remember they claimed to have been established in 1924, presumably at the Elmer Approach address. I now work on the exact spot! But does a pou-de-ciel pre-date this?

In the 70's they had an impressive showroom and repair facilities on the London Road, Chalkwell. (For Richard - on the site that was until last year the Alfa Romeo dealer)

Mr Lintott Senior passed away in the late 70's early 80's and his sons expanded the company. They had a Rolls Royce Dealership in Thorpe Bay, Sold Mercedes from a new showroom in Southchurch Road, and the BMC/Leyland franchise which they moved to Priory Crescent. I don't know much about their Basildon premises. They had a preparation, repair and storage facility in Aviation Way by the Airport as well.

I met one of the sons, David Lintott, a few times over the years as they invited me to new car launches, I was pleased that he remembered my application to his Company.

They may have over extended themselves as they seemed to sell off or close all the locations quite quickly.

When they were closing the storage facility, a friend of mine bought a dusty but very sound Austin 7 and an Austin A40 Sports for about £500.

If I come accross any more info I post it at a later date.
52classic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always associate SMAC as having supplied BSM with a fleet of Dolomites and then Metros around the '79/'80 period. All had a distinctive 'OO' character to the reg number.

To locals just the Southend plate but looked unfamiliar in our area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: