classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cellulose
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British leyland did use water based paint in the 70's as my mini estate was waterbased paint!

Uncle joe; not sure about this but I am pretty sure you can still get the brush on galvanising kits but they are quite dear from what I hear!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of galvanising kits before, at least not for whole cars, so I must have a look into them.

The wipe on agent that I was referring to is part of a complete refinishing system. I've been trying to get some information about it for ages now, without a lot of success. Even posts on other forums have drawn a blank.

As I understand things at present, first the metal is cleaned. Then the agent is wiped on. This is then covered with primer/filler, then the usual base coats and clear coats.

One disadvantage to some will be that it cannot be used over fillers, and others will say that using a clear coat is another. As I always use body solder, the first doesn't apply to me, and as far as the clear coat goes, what nobody ever realises is that the gloss can be made exactly how you want it during the polishing stage, from matt to toffee apple.

Repeating myself again, the idea of a galvanised surface does appeal!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am not sure they are intended to cover whole cars, the ones I was refering to was just for metal in general, sorry for any confusion. I am sure I have seen these somewhere on the net recently and when I get a bit of time free, I will have a search for you if you like? (It may not be the thing you are meaning or even the thing I am thinking of, I just have a recolection of it, I will try to find out!!)

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologise, the fault is probably mine anyway... this is the only chance I get to practice english!
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ

The company that says it'll continue producing celly is HMG in Manchester, there may be others but this is the one mentioned in the magazine article.

cheers
Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, is it the paint company that is called HMG, or is that just the name of the outlet? If it is the outlet, do you know the name of the paint company by any chance?

Not that it helps me much anyway!

I have heard on the grapevine that a certain well known US paint manufacturer (God bless 'em) is going to continue with traditional paints, marketing them as a "global system." I'll let you all know more if and when I can get this confirmed
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been onto HMG's website, so at least I know that they are manufacturers.

But whether or not I would consider a purchase from them in the future, if it was possible, I'm not sure. But it's not likely!
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ

Have you had any more feedback lately from your painter pal about WBP? just curious to see how the repainted car came out, experiences and so on Very Happy

Rick
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMG are manufacturers, thir full name is:
H. Marcel Guest Ltd.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

To answer your question about the WBP, I saw the car just before Christmas, and it looks very nice indeed. My mate has just resprayed his caravan with the same, and that too looks nice. He'll be spraying a matching stripe on the 'van, and if I can remember something for more than two minutes, will take some piccies for you all to see.

We did have a chat about things, and his opinion now is that its all he is going to use in the future. Whether he has to or not! Shocked
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just read this thread for the first time here’s my two peneth !

WBP have been around in the automotive industry for many years, I know of one mainstream UK manufacturer who used them in the 70’s for about 18 months; they were inundated with warranty claims, poor adhesion, poor resistance to stone chips and the body shop trade who were then generally nitro-cellulose based struggled to get a finish that matched the original. I guess things have now moved on and the product is better and better understood. Many of these mobile repairers today use WBP (they have kits to mix paint in the field) but use a 2 pack lacquer to finish the job.

Now like many of you I am quite obsessive about getting the original detail right, however I will use modern materials, yes I body solder, but there are times when a thin skim of filler does the job better, I have braided wiring looms that have modern pvc insulation under the braid, i.e. it looks original but is in fact better.

For years people painting cars in nitro-cellulose attempted to get the depth and lustre that coach paint had, and it could be achieved with many coats and much elbow grease , then along comes 2 pack paint which gives you the finish we all desire out of the gun and on top of that its tougher and requires less prep. You need to invest £100 in an air fed mask but then look at the benefits;

• Great finish from the gun
• Less preparation
• Less coats required
• Great range of thinners (better than celly)
• Air drying hardeners
• Widely available
• Tougher paint
• About a third of the price per litre compared to WBP and you probably need half as much! You will save the cost of an air fed mask painting 1 car

Yes you have to take precautions because it is poisonous, but with common scene and the right equipment you can use it in your garage at home safely. I have not used any other paint for the last 10 years. If we can get hold of celly in the future you can guarantee it will be at sky high prices because manufacturing volumes will have dropped, I use 2 pack because it’s simply a better product, I realise this will be controversial with some of you! But it would be boring if were all the same!.
If anyone local wants to borrow my air fed gear you are most welcome.

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, I fully agree with your comments about 2 pack paints, I've been using them myself for years. I used to use DuPont's products, but after problems started to use PPG. Way better.

We used AAC water based on the car, and to be truthful haven't seen any of the problems you mentioned regarding adhesion, but it is early days yet.... I do know that there are also several manufacturers using WBP today, so I do think they have improved a lot since the late '60's / early '70's.

The one thing that I cant understand though is the fact that there are quite a lot of people that either want to Coachpaint or use cellulose for 'originality' even when these weren't originally used. Can someone else shed some light on this matter?
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKdave2002 wrote:

Now like many of you I am quite obsessive about getting the original detail right, however I will use modern materials, yes I body solder, but there are times when a thin skim of filler does the job better, I have braided wiring looms that have modern pvc insulation under the braid, i.e. it looks original but is in fact better.

Surely, if the colour and finish are both right for your car and the paint is durable it should not matter what formulation the paint is.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the point I usually try to make. 2 Pack is way more durable than anything else. But there are a lot of people out there that wont accept it. As far as I am concerned, its possible to get everything right with two-pack, if you wish.

As far as originality goes, if a vehicle is restored, then its no longer original is it?
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the last loint, many repair panels (take the Morris Minor for example) are so different to the original parts they represent that the car they are fitted to will never be "correct" ever again, so why worry about the chemical make-up of the paint?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: