classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Diesel mini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Diesel mini. Reply with quote

BMC fitted diesel engines into most of their range but was there ever a diesel mini.??
poodge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a production one,anyway.Someone may have retrofitted a Mini with diesel,but why bother?It runs on the smell of an oily rag as it is.
I'm discounting the current item,as it's not a "real"Mini.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no never a production one though some folks might have fitted daihatsu diesels, I surely heard of one such like on a mini only magazine!!
However most engine conversions on minis are for more power with bike engines, honda and vauxhall being the most popular!!
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Nuffield Mini-Tractor which had a 1000cc diesel engine looking remarkably like a Mini block. I often muse about making a diesel Mini with one , but then again I spend too much time musing.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that the sump mounted gear box would make an engine swap an almost impossible task?
I doubt if you could shoe-horn one of the earlier Citroen or Peugeot diesels in as Rover eventually did on the Metro.
Doubtless the more severe the challenge the more likely it is that someone has had a go!!!
PAUL
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15BHP output might be a negative factor.
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minis have been fitted with all sorts of engines, from bike ones to V8s so nothing is impossible!! Wink
However minis are already quite economic in standard trim so why go to all that trouble in fitting a diesel to it?
I dont like it and wouldnt own one (prefer the old a series) but one must admit its quite a challenge!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: