classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Midget Wipers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Finch661

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Midget Wipers Reply with quote

hi everyone, just a quicky about wipers. for once its not the mini thats playing up, but mt 76 mg midget. i am taking it up to the islands and i am assuming that it will be pi$$ing it down at some point. at the mo the wipers only have one setting (one speed) and do not park (though thats due to the knacked paark switch!). i have seen that you can by switches that have a 2 speed function, are there any ways of checking if it is possible to wire up a 2 speed switch instead?

i am replacing the park switch anyway, so i thought it would be handy to have decent wipers for the wilds of scotland
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a 2 speed wiper motor. Anyway it will probably be snowing.
Dax Rush
Finch661

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, the motor is the same (i think) as my 85 mini motor, which is a 2 speed, i notice that you have 77 1500, is yours running on 1 speed?

thanks

*just to add, i found out that the motor fitted to all 1500's is a Lucas 14W motor which is a 2 speed motor, i am liking my chances!
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1500 is a single speed but I cannot find any details on the wiper motor. I checked the wiring diagram for the B which is a 2 speed and it has 5 wires to it, the 1500 has 4. If the motor does do 2 speeds do you think it will be faster or slower - I know which one you would like. I suspect it will be slower as my wipers do go fairly fast, they are just useless. Great fun when one is caught out in a storm and getting wet in the footwell (I use a hard top) it's the body that leaks. You have gotta try the Morris 8, it is quicker to crank the wiper (just one) by hand and with my nose on the windscreen and a faint glimmer from the headlamps - that is real motoring. Good luck and don't forget the snow shoes.
Dax Rush
Finch661

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i think i will leave it. do your wipers park. mine dont and the last owner (for 10 years) says that they never parked for him. should i replace the park switch or will it be ok as is?
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine do park OK. Get the best quality blades you can and drive slowly. Have a great time.
Dax Rush
Finch661

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much, i wasnt planning on driving fast, too many nice views up north! Very Happy

just need to service the car then, get her ready for the drive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: