classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Some drivers, why do they..........
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Gaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Some drivers, why do they.......... Reply with quote

Drive so fast everywhere ? Mad

Drive so close to the back end of your car/other vehicle that they must be on edge waiting for the driver in front to brake because the obviously can't see anything other than the back of a car ? Mad

Drive with their front fog lights on, constantly, even in the summer months? Mad

and ignore you when you let them out of a junction. ? Mad

A small thumbs up would be polite. Confused

"Shouts very loud"..........Aaaagh! Mad

buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

All very good points, and ones that really pee me off! Like you say, fog lights, on all the time, idiots I say! hehe

Not being curteos enough to acknoledge you for waiting, even worse scoling at you for not waiting, when it is your right of way, sometimes you have to stop them coming, as they keep coming etc.

Driving up behind you too close is particulary bad, and the way I deal with it, related to the highway code, it states if someone is traveling too close behind you, adjust your stopping distance to cater for them, so this is what I do, I slow down, increasing the distance infront of me, more often than not they then whizz past you, then you are rid of them, other times they get even closer. Tits!

Undertaking on the motorway, when you are doing the national limit of 70mph, overtaking something in one of the outer lanes, coming right up behind you, then ocasionally undertaking you, and pulling back out infront of you. If you are doing 70mph, they can't say much surely!

It is surprising how close the cars tailgate you, even if you are in a big tractor, what they don't realise/think of is if they do bump into the back of the tractor, they will be in a right state, and I pobably wouldn't reallyfeel it even!

Anyway you may tell these tits really anoye me, so I will stop now!

Cheers

Dave
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear......

Compared to the UK, the standard of driving here is atrocious and in Winnipeg it even more atrocious.

Daylight running lights are the norm in most of North America Continent, I don't have a problem with them.

But why oh why !!! does this side of the atlantic continue to adopt the Red Rear Turn signals. I fail to see one good reason for it.

There is no standard for external vehicle warning lights, so breakdown trucks, road work vehicles, ambulance, police and fire trucks can have a wide range of white, red, blue, orange and green flashing lights.

Our snowploughs and sand trucks have blue flashing lights on the rear. School buses have more flashing lights than a fairground ride and slow vehicles or any 1/2 ton truck with a bit of a load feel obliged to drive along with their hazard (four way flashers going)

Road works are signed about 10ft before they actually start, well here in the city they do, the interstates can be better.

Roadworkesr carry orange "lollipop" signs with "Slow" on one side and "Stop" on the other, both written in black. 7 inch high characters both beginning with "S" and with 4 letters....... haven't a clue what they say until you can see the whites of their eyes.

Orange flags are waved to proceed and also waved to stop, well the guy with the flag knows what he meant.

The UK is not such a bad place to drive after all....
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:

Road works are signed about 10ft before they actually start, well here in the city they do, the interstates can be better.

Peter

We get 10 ft on a motorway and nothing at all before the big hole in a city road!! Very Happy
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

move to suffolk/norfolk, were very friendly road users up here!
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Fog lights Reply with quote

It used to be just the young who drove around with fog lights on but I am seeing more older people adopting this also. I have asked a few of them, why?........."They are not fog lights, they are driving lights" Rolling Eyes

My other pet hate is the motorists who, when it is raining, either drive with no lights or just side lights..........don't they know that they are invisible in the spray when it is a dark overcast wet day.
Gaz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog lights Reply with quote

Dirty Habit wrote:
It used to be just the young who drove around with fog lights on but I am seeing more older people adopting this also. I have asked a few of them, why?........."They are not fog lights, they are driving lights" Rolling Eyes

Truth is, they are "FOG" lights and not driving lights. Evil or Very Mad Why don't the Police stop these idiots and fine them.

Don't these idiots know it blinds oncoming drivers?.
I'll answer my own question, yes they do, but the couldn't give a monkeys, as long as they look good.

peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gaz,

Just on Friday night I was being driven up from Geordie-Land on the A697 and we came up behind one of your "friends". It's even worse getting stuck behind one in the dark as it kills your night vision, so I goaded my driver to overtake despite the fact that there was a queue of cars ahead for miles. Unfortunately we then found ourselves illuminated by his front fog lamps too!

Needless to say there was not the slightest hint of fog.

Peter Evil or Very Mad
millermit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! Talk about pet hates! I shouldna read this!
I can't stand folks who INSIST on driving in the fast lane, even though they're not actually even doing the speed limit. Then, when I want to overtake a vehicle in the left lane, they suddenly accelerate to prevent me crossing into the overtaking lane or suddenly hurry up and start flashing me!

Also, when you're travelling along merrily at the speed limit, and someone sees a police car, they all HIT THE BRAKES in a juddering frenzy and slow down to a crawl! You can almost smell the whiffs of their collective farting! If you're obeying the speed limit, what have you got to fear? (although that doesn't apply to the tailgaters, who KNOW they're in the wrong.) Speaking of tailgaters, I only recently heard that if you hit the brakes on a persistent tailgater and he slams into the back of you, you can be done for "reckless endangerment" or something.

And another pet gripe is people that don't use their indicators. I don't know, I have a habit, when I change lanes I reflexively indicate, whether there are cars on the road or not. At night, if a pedestrian is (foolishly) on the highway, imagine him trying to figure out what you're doing??? Well, it's just a subconscious habit with me, more than anything else. I can't understand how lazy, or pompous, some people can be as to not show a little bit of respect by communicating their intentions to other road users by just a flick of their finger! I mean, how lazy is THAT??? Shocked
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millermit wrote:
Argh! Talk about pet hates! I shouldna read this!
I can't stand folks who INSIST on driving in the fast lane, even though they're not actually even doing the speed limit. Then, when I want to overtake a vehicle in the left lane, they suddenly accelerate to prevent me crossing into the overtaking lane or suddenly hurry up and start flashing me!

Hi

Don't do much on the motorway, but did realise at the weekend, when on the motorway that there was a problem. I was on several ocasions travelling between 65-70mph in the fast lane overtaking slower vehicles in the two nearer lanes. I soon had faster car up my back end, and flashing for me to move in. As long as I am going quicker than the other traffic in the nearer lanes, I don't think I am in the wrong, as it is mereley another lane, used for overtaking.

Anyway, this is my oppinion, and my gripe from the weekend just gone!

Cheers

Dave
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me What is a 'fast lane'
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

millermit wrote:

And another pet gripe is people that don't use their indicators. At night, if a pedestrian is (foolishly) on the highway, imagine him trying to figure out what you're doing???

I don't like sitting behind drivers who hold their cars on the foot brake especially with all these high level and high power brake lamps and I also dislike people who sit there indicating when they are in a lane that has no choice but to turn left or right.

I do take your point about pedestrians and I do indicate just before I move off.

Peter
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger-hatchy wrote:
Please tell me What is a 'fast lane'

The right-hand lane of motorways and dual carriageways that is used for overtaking Wink

I agree with you Peter about the drivers who sit in traffic with their foot on the brake, rather than putting the handbrake on. Can I also add people who don't dip their headlights when there is oncoming traffic Mad

Driving an old car nearly every day means I am always getting people overtaking at the earliest opportunity no matter how fast I am going, I don't generally mind this, but there are some stupid people who attempt to overtake into oncoming traffic (on single-carriageway roads) or into bollards, resulting in me having to slam the anchors on to stop them having a head-on Rolling Eyes

It's usually the same sort of cars as well, luxury 4x4's and saloons such as BMW X5's, M3's, Ford Focus ST's and Range Rover Sport's, most with taccy personal number plates taken from some old car Evil or Very Mad
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Young people in audi's are usually quite bad.

Cheers

Dave
Gaz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that the newer drivers aren't getting taught correctly?

Do they get told that:

The fast lane is only for over taking
Not to drive with your fog lights on, and why you shouldn't unless its foggy or heavy dring rain.
Not to tailgate, and the dangers of why you shouldn't
Not to sit on the nearside lane, facing traffic with your lights on dipped beam.
Not to sound your horn after 9pm unless in an emergency
Not to use residential side roads as race tracks.................my list goes on...... Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: