classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cars we dislike and why?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Cars we dislike and why? Reply with quote

Here you go then, I'll kick it off with the Triumph Stag Wink

Not sure why but ever since they were launched I've not liked them, I know they have a 3.0 V8 engine in them but somehow to me they always looked like a stretched Spitfire and in my mind that made them a bit effete. I loved the Big Healeys and the thought that maybe in the BL boardroom the development of the Stag managed to kill off a British legend turned me against them! Still don't like them for that. All totally irrational but that's what this is all about irrational dislikes of cars for no apparent reason! Laughing

Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riley 1946 RMA reg. no. HKR 122, because whilst changing the engine on it I cut my wrist so badly that it took 2 years to heal up.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beat me to it. I was hoping to add into this stories of mishaps or really good things that happened in a certain car as well as general rants about cars we think are mingers or just plain dogs. And please bear in mind it is NOTHING PERSONAL, if you disagree then speak up.
I quite like the shape of the Stag, it is slightly understated with clean lines, but what a dog of an engine! Laughing
Dax Rush
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would have to be the VW Beetle.

I driven a few of them. albiet for short distances and that was enough for me.

I found the pedals had a weird orientation. Visibility atrocious. Wipers a joke for modern motoring and the lights !!, what lights. Noisy, uncomfortable seating, archaic dashboard , no performance and poor handling.

I know that people talk about their economy and reliability but I looked after all of my cars and I can count on one hand the number of times any of mine had to be recoverd back to home.

I know that I am in the minority, but during the years when I drove the VW I was owning a Mini. a Mk1 Lotus Cortina. a Ford Mexico a Mk IV 2.3 Cortina Estate, a Mk IV Granada, 2 Ford Scorpios and a Vauxhall Senator. (Not all at the same time)

The Cortina did 280k miles from new and the Granada 195k miles from new.

The first Scorpio did 230k and the second 120k.

When I moved to Canada the Senator had done 110k

Back in the 50's their styling was still typical but for me they should have gone the way of the Dodo.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Alec wrote:
Riley 1946 RMA reg. no. HKR 122, because whilst changing the engine on it I cut my wrist so badly that it took 2 years to heal up.

Now that's very interesting UA! That rings very true with my experience of them too. Riley RMs seem to be designed to be as awkward as possible. Nothing is accessible without dismantling everything within a two foot radius, make that three foot, and whilst you're doing that you are ripping your hands apart trying to hold some non-captive nut with sharp metalwork all around.

RMBs and RMFs do go quite well (not so convinced by the As and Es) and they corner nicely but my goodness they are terribly noisey cars. You get out at the end of a journey with your ears ringing just like you've spent a few hours with an angle grinder.

Peter Evil or Very Mad
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon?
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I turned by The Bull in Long Melford I checked my mirror and to my complete disbelief there was an Anglia 105E behind me. OH MY GOD!!!! The Anglia Fanciers Club was going to get me, I noticed the after market alloy wheels and suspected it might be............................ a Super. Would I be able to get away from it in the Midget? I gave it a large bootfull and with tyres screaming I turned right over the bridge. I kept on eye on my mirror to see him turn left. OK I did feel a little foolish. Confused
Dax Rush
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Alec wrote:
Pardon?

QED
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Austin Mini, because;
1, I had to replace the brake master cylinder and spent most of a day on my back in the drivers footwell with the seat runners digging in my back and my arms hardly able to move. It took me a couple of days to straighten up.
2, My previous partner is a very good cook so when we were invited to her uncle's (who does not cook) for Xmas we precooked the dinner and put it in the boot of the Mini. My daughters were 2 1/2 and 3 months. So 25th Dec 1986 which was cold and raining, we set off for Ilford. We joined the M11 and half way there I noticed the engine was overheating so as there was a bridge fairly close we stopped under it to let the engine cool down. When I realised that the situation was not too bad I remarked "look on the bright side, we are not going to starve". When the engine had cooled down we set off again and with just one more stop we made it to Ilford. We had our Xmas dinner and the uncle's lodger took a piece of turkey and put it in my baby's mouth. I pulled it out and he excliamed "You wicked man you are not going to let her have a Xmas dinner!"
Dax Rush
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMC 1100/1300 range - the only car in which I have been travel sick..... and I was driving it Rolling Eyes
Ad to that, the Mini in all its forms, the noisiest, most uncomfortable cars I have ever driven or riden in, and the Porsche 911 - nothing particular against it, but I cannot stand everyone else raving about such a non-descript blob Shocked
Now retreats to the nuclear bunker Laughing
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more counsels for the defence in this thread.

I have a general hatred for the BMC A series (It looks horrible and is generally crude in operation) but I must say I thought the 1100s weren't all that bad. You could squeeze quite a lot into them and the suspension wasn't quite as jarring as the Minis.

Come on 640TMP come and defend the A series.

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
peppiB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 45 years I have found the A series to be very reliable, if tame, and have never broken down in one which for me is somewhat of a rarity, they just keep on running. I had 3 1100/1300 series and never had a problem, although the rear sub frame fell out of one of them 3 weeks after I sold it Shocked My current Minor scoots along merrily at 60 mph and never complains and my 1800 (OK it has a B series engine) is just an overgrown mini and is fun to drive.

My worst nightmare was a Jaguar Sovereign which was 5 years old when I bought it. Over the next 2 years it cost me over £15000 in repairs - just about everything that could go wrong did. The final straw was the air conditioning so the car had to go!
Giggles

Location: Tucked up under a patchwork quilt somwhere in Suffolk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just loving the negativity of this thread!! Rolling Eyes
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a serious love/hate relationship with the Mk 2 Jaguars.

I owned a 3.4 litre in 1971, long before they became classics. I thought then, and I still do, that it's the best looking sports sedan ever built. It's handling is beautifully wicked! And it didn't do me any harm with the opposite sex!

HOWEVER!!!! Only a highly qualified moron could design a car that has almost all it's mechanical components totally inaccesible!

And use oil! Mine was a low mileage unit when I bought it and yet when I put the boot down, it used oil like there was no tomorrow! The local Jag dealer assured me that this was completely normal and not to be concerned!

In the Australian summer heat, it proved itself to be the most efficient way of boiling water known to mankind!

I spent an arm and a leg on trying to get this car to behave like a three year old low mileage vehicle should. And I failed!

I ended up on top of the local Jaguar Car Club Hit List for suggesting that it would have been a far better car with a Holden engine in it! I wasn't joking! As far as I was concerned, that cast iron OHC disaster would have made a superb boat anchor!

Keith
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reliant Robin. Or should should I call it The Plastic Pig. It was quite nippy but if you turned too quickly it would tip over and rub the front quarter on the road. It was noisey, uncomfortable and would rattle your fillings out. The heater never worked, the lights were pathetic and the wipers sometimes rubbed on the screen. Otherwise it is a great car. Go on Peter, defend it! I probably could not afford your councel.
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: