classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Thomson T-Line & Robin
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
HMK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Thomson T-Line & Robin Reply with quote

Here are my two.....

1960s Thomson T-Line still in use......

All just about original inside & will probably be (unless the weather is really bad) at the West Ashby Classic Car Show first weekend in September as below...........

Also got this early 70s Robin which I used to use - been in the family since it was nearly new, but now has become a shed & is full of car parts & old bikes Sad

Although I sometimes come across mention of the 'Thomsons', I never hear or see any mention of the 'Robins' these days.

The Robin was a joy to tow being quite light & very well balanced. It has a coil sprung with shocks chassis made by 'Peak'. Unfortunately, it leaked water in at the corners causing me to have to replace some of the wood framework on both off-side corners. The internal layout isn't that good & although it's the same size as the Thomson to within an inch internally, there is just so much more room in the Thomson. The Thomson is horrible to tow by comparison as it must weigh a ton Rolling Eyes It's got real floor boards for the floor Wink but it does the job & looks more 'classic' than the Robin Smile
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HMK and welcome to the forum.

I have a collection of over 2000 photos of classic caravans but was not aware that "Robin" was a separate make and I think I have a photo of one that I have filed under another manufacturer but cannot remember which!

Do you have any background on the history of the Robin company? Did they manufacture many?
jonbott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice,we nearly had a tline but missed out on the ebay listing
1972 vw camper
1971 mini project
I must be mad!!
HMK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers folks Smile

That's a good question regards history. There is a file of info on the van with owners handbook for the van itself plus another one for the chassis. I'm sure this paperwork is in the eye level storage unit over the front window within the caravan....& the front end is full to the roof with "stuff"....so no chance of getting at it without moving a lot of clutter - but I will sometime soon & post some pics of anything interesting etc.

I do seem to remember some problems with obtaining certain parts in the early days leading me to think that they didn't have a very long run - they may have been taken over by another company. That single orange roof light cover is a replacment, the original was clear, but blew off on the road in the 70s when 'someone' forgot to shut it down before setting off Embarassed It's quite a large one & an orange replacement was all that was available at the time - made it a bit dark, but better now that it's used for storage as it lessens sun damage for stuff inside - tyres etc. Wink

Anyway, found a couple of earlier pictures of the Robin out & about - first one from the 70s with a 1.6 Cortina & second one from the late 90s with the last of the various Jags that I had over the years...........

HMK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, had a good 'chill-out' long weekend at West Ashby.......

58.5 acres to get lost in. That's me in the distance up hill from the lake......

There were a few others there, but no really old ones.......

Time to get the washing up done then Rolling Eyes

gillberry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you missed the little cheltenham fawn it is 1960s and is a club member
HMK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had a bit of a sort out of all the stuff that is stored in the 'Robin' & sure enough I located all the original paperwork for the van in the glove box above the front window where I thought it was - took a few snaps of some of the books until the battery ran out in the camera Laughing

The light & dark on the snaps is due to the fact that I was snapping them quickly this morning on the table in the window of my house & the sun kept going in & out while I was doing it - I don't use flash on this type of thing, but they'll do.....I'll probably copy a few more pages when I get some more batteries in the camera Wink
HMK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question by Brian M as to any history on the Robin company.....I found these letters from the company with regards to requesting spares during the 70's & it seems that they became part of 'Willerby Caravans' as you can see below.......

And it seems they are still around, although perhaps not quite as they were in the 1970's - link below.......

http://www.willerby.com/contact.php
jonbott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve just read the bit about lights
didn`t know I didn`t need the caravan lights to work!!!
says after 1965 the rear lights have to work and my van is early `65 Smile
1972 vw camper
1971 mini project
I must be mad!!
HMK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Some of that info could perhaps be a little bit dated by now Laughing

Anyway, who's going to West Ashby this year?

I've just received my notification through the post - first weekend in September.
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see a Thomson that isnt a Glen or Mini Glen! Im looking for one just like yours, looks like a 4 berth Glenelg, the same as I used to go on hoilday in as a kid, dont suppose its for sale is it Laughing
The Oldtimers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello HMK

Your first photo rang a bell. We met you at West Ashby probably four years ago, when we were displaying with the PCCC Classic Caravan Club.

There was virtually no interest in the old vans, and we have not returned to that rally.

I had a Thomson Glenelg many years ago. It was our first van, and had been used at motor bike rallies. The inside needed a huge clean, we had to replace the ceiling - a difficult task with the angle at the front of the van, and patch up various rotten bits in the toilet.

I tried to clean the oily foams but they had to be replaced. As the van was supposed to be a four berth, with one berth being a bunk, we daren't risk our teenagers crashing to the floor. So one slept on a mattress on the floor. We thought it was fabulous, after tenting for several years, there was so much internal space.

When the kids no longer wanted to be seen dead with us, we sold the Glenelg, and bought a Fisher Holivan. We towed the former with a Cortina, and it was always underpowered. A similar outfit to the one Swampthing originally had.

Several vans have come and gone since then!
T-line H&I

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: The Thomson Caravan Reply with quote

What a great looking example of a Thomson.
I must try and save up some pennies so the missus and I can get to more Classic caravan events!
Its great seeing so many of the pics from events etc on here as it makes up for not being able to be there in a small way! Wink

Graham P Thompson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HMK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaps!

See you've now got yourself a Thomson, Mick Very Happy

Oldtimers - Yes, it's a shame that perhaps the vans were not nearer to the car display. I spoke to Larry afterwards & he said there had been a bit of a misunderstanding & that something better could be arranged for future years. Having said that, I like being up on the field as I can just relax & enjoy the weekend with lots of food & drink Laughing

My mate who goes every year told me that someone we met at that show came to buy a stove that he had for sale on ebay - I'm guessing that may have been you?

That same mate is the person that I bought the T-Line from. The story of the caravan is that it belonged to my next door neighbour who had owned it for many years but had let it stand for nearly 20 years unused - against the north facing side of his house so that it was shaded from the sun. It's always the sun that dries out the sealing which lets in the water that rots the frame. Like yours, it had rotted a little in the toilet corner of the van. This corner was the only part of the van that sometimes got caught by the sun. When my neighbour decided to get rid of the van, I let my mate have it as I was still using the Robin & didn't need another one at that time. It was my mate that did the repairs to the framework etc. in the toilet corner. He used it for about a year & then I ended up buying it off him - so it's come back to right next door to where it started from Laughing

I highly recommend West Ashby - I go every year Cool
T-line H&I

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HMK, Lincoln may be within my reach next year, just got to get a towbar on the latest car. Would be great if we could get a group of Thomson's together. That would make my day!

Let us know when its on etc please.

Graham P Thompson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: