classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Aerosol Warning
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Aerosol Warning Reply with quote

I've been a little down recently after a visit to the Moffat Rally where my car was damaged by a female spraying herself with some form of deodorant or similar. You may well have read the article in the CCW magazine.

This was some of the damage which was covering every panel on the car

The car was put into the hands of Dave, a detailer from Dundee and I have to admit the end results are simply stunning

Well the old girl is back and better than ever. It took the best part of 80 hours work with up to 4 professional detailers to remove the pitting in the paintwork and I have to say she looks stunning.
This was how she was looking on Sunday when I visited the workshop

When I collected the car last night, unfortunately the weather was rather wet so it was straight into the garage when I got home. This morning I gave her a wash to remove the muck caused by last nights travel home and this is how she is looking now.

The marks you see here are actually a reflection of the scores on my windscreen showing on the bonnet. I may have to get Dave to polish the glass now

Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an amazing transformation!! I can just imagine your thoughts on first seeing the damage. How did they go about repairing the finish?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
Every square cm was checked with a paint thickness gauge and plotted on an excel spreadsheet, from here they could work out how much paint could be safely removed without going through to the undercoat. All very technical and I have to take my hat off to them for the excellent job they have done.

The sad part of this story is that the Moffat Rally Insurers would not pay for the damage caused whilst the car was on the field. I have to claim from my own insurance company, so if you must attend car rallies please make sure you have every possible angle covered, luckily I did
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Looks good now!

I am unsure about all the light blue stripes in the first few pics though. he he Wink

Great you were able to get her sorted, did they polish them out?

Cheers

Dave
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Dave, she was machine polished using different grades of cut to remove the damage, then a coat of glaze followed by two coats of wax to protect the paint
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck John, but she certainly looks good now.

Peter
P3steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you made sure that the woman who did this knows what a dork she was so she dosnt do it again
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something I'd never have thought possible!!
glad its now as good as before!!
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a worrying time awaiting the the outcome of the detailing and the thought of a repaint filled me with dread. I would have been happy if the damage had never happened in the first place, but it could have been a lot worse.

As to the female in question, to date she goes about her daily duties oblivious to the damage she caused, I can only hope that she has read about it either on one of the forums or in one of the magazines who have run the story.

I certainly know that if I see someone within 100' of my car weilding an aerosol can I will be taking evasive action
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes something I will be watching too from now on whenever I am at a show!!

Can I ask you what sort of paint does your rover have?
ie cellulose, enamel, 2 pack?
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cellulose bob, I doubt if any other type of paint could have survived unscathed

It seems that the car industry have been having similar problems in the past. This article is dated 1991.

and this was in the latest edition of Car Mechanics

bob2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfumes have been known to cause imperfections in paint, sprayer friends of mine always send people away because of perfumes or deodorant so its nothing new, but your case is quite strange, never met with anything of the sort!!
I think that 2 pack paint wouldnt have been harmed though, it rarely reacts with anything even whilst being applied although what I said before about perfumes applies to it aswell!!
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's been a year since the P2 was detailed and I felt the time had come to apply a new coat of wax.

Although the water is still beading the droplets weren't running off as they should. This was after washing.

Now all dried and tucked in the garage waiting for a rub over with Anchem Angelwax

I never use a chamois leather for drying, sometimes I do use a microfibre towel though.

My preference for drying is to use a paint dryer which runs from a compressor

The bonnet and front wings have been cleaned with Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleanser. I was going to use my Anchem Angelwax and tried a test patch which sadly never looked as good as I wanted so I tried the Autoglym HD which seems to have the desired shine I am looking for, so a coat has been applied to the wings and bonnet. I will leave that to set and apply a second coat tomorrow.

After posting the latest pictures I went back out to the garage for another look at my handiwork. Although the paintwork looked good, it never had that extra sparkle, something was just not quite right.

Today I decided that the problem was caused by the Meguiars not being the correct product for this application and it had to come off.

I applied Chemical Guys EZ Glaze and a coat of 5050 wax and tomorrow I will apply a second coat of wax.

I feel that the paintwork is now starting to look a lot better and hope when I give it a second coat of wax it will be back to what it should be.

This was after the first coat of wax.

Almost 2:00am and I was still waxing. SWMBO was not home and as I was going out to work soon so I thought I would keep going with the waxing.

The entire car has now been done with EZ Glaze and one coat of 5050 wax

I will give it a second coat of wax tomorrow. I must admit though I can't envisage it making the paintwork look any better..

Second coat of wax applied and as I suspected I can't see any difference. All is not lost though, there is an added bonus of applying 2 coats of wax which is that any parts of the paintwork that may have escaped the wax first time round should in theory be covered with the second coat.

Sadly the BBC forecast was wrong again when they forecast sunshine, and all we had was a cloudy overcast sky and the odd light shower so Tilly won't be coming out for pictures.

Here are a couple taken in the garage

This is a reflection of a reflection as Tilly's front wheel is reflecting into the Viano and back

I had to run an errand today and decided to take Tilly

Turning right

I'm now at the stage that I can't better Tilly, so this is the best she will be.

This was my very first sighting back in 2003 in Sydney

Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Midget was outside as it has been thrown out of it's garage place when it started raining. I rushed outside and threw a cover over it. There was a small amount of water trapped under the cover. When I took the cover off the next morning it had a pale mottled bloom over the areas that had touched the cover. I have buffed it once but the bloom is still there. Is this rubbish paint?
Dax Rush
47p2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a cutting compound applied with a damp cloth which should remove the bloom, then apply a liberal coat of good quality wax
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: