classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Top Gear.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Top Gear. Reply with quote

Oh well the 1800 marina special I had a couple of years ago got pianoed tonight. That was a really solid car with only 20k on the clock....a real shame. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, that was yours was it!?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

71M

When I saw the Scottish Marina Owner's badge on the car I thought you would know the car.

Are you sure it was "pianoed"? TG have been known to damage a ringer for the car used in the main feature.

It had covered a lot of miles without problems (if there had been any I am sure they would have been covered in the filming!) and then proved that gentle driving on skinny tyres is the quickest on ice.
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the car but that looked like a nice solid baby grand they dropped on it, with a tune-up and a bit of a polish it could have been playing music for years to come, what will they think of next... Confused
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
71M

Are you sure it was "pianoed"? TG have been known to damage a ringer for the car used in the main feature.

I'd like to think so, but given the BBC's budget, the rarity of Marinas (not worth finding a ringer) and their attitude to Marinas, I am almost certain the car they destroyed was the one they drove to France and was previously owned by 71marina. I just don't understand how a car that made it all that way, was a lot more reliable than some cars (Capri!) and even won their challenge could be destroyed in the name of entertainment. Sadly although a lot of TG's audience have never heard of the Marina, they have now been brainwashed into thinking they're all worthless @#$%

Even though the Marina is widely accepted as a classic, and I'd much rather see a Marina on show then an 1993 Volvo hatchback spotted at a recent show......

How very sad Crying or Very sad but congratualations must go to people like 71M, who are keeping them on the road! Marinas are so rare now that most are in enthusiasts' hands and hopefully they should stop selling them to Top Gear!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't grasp, who sells them to the bbc, surely it must look a little suspicous, when, a person comes to buy a car, knowing very little probably, saying they are from the bbc. Allarm bells would be ringing with me! Shocked
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was sold on ebay then you dont know who is buying it. The bbc could send anyone. I am led to believe TG is not yet finished yet destroying marinas. A funeral is seemingly on the cards. An orange mk3 saloon that I also restored a couple of years back was recently sold on ebay. Shocked
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah I see,
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Gear. Reply with quote

71marina wrote:
"got pianoed"
p.s. I love the new verb, to be pianoed... conjurs up splendid images rather like that wonderful word defenestrate!
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to buy a small toy piano and sit it on the roof of the marina at the next car show. Laughing
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful, you might get pianoed! Laughing
peppiB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, instead of pianos TG should be dropping Hammond organs. - gets coat -
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71marina wrote:
I am going to buy a small toy piano and sit it on the roof of the marina at the next car show. Laughing
That would be a great humorous touch Smile
Tripleman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm... Not so sure about the prog nowdays, it all seemed a little contrived last night. Marina with May in it wins a race after his Capri apparently has an overheating problem. May is a talented chap and knows a bit about engines and yet not one word from him about the the actual cause of the problem. But anyway, it gives the producer an excuse to stick Captain Slow in the 'losers' car which then wins on the ice, cue a big hug for the Marina Owners Club, they then, from nowhere, happen to find a crane and piano to drop on it. Sorry, it's just seems so phoney to me.

All in all they seem to have run out of ideas, or the BBC in its eternal quest for political correctness has decided to up the humour content by planning the jokes rather than risk having the natural character of the presenters stray outside what may be deemed acceptable if a little naughty.

Top Gear is not what it was I fear.

p.s. Fond memories of a Marina myself, and more especially the young lady who owned it.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have with it is that the yobs might just think it is the done thing to trash a marina after watching TG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: