classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What does your workbench look like right now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can honestly say I don't know what my bench looks like at the moment, can't say that I have seen the actual bench for some time now! I know its there somewhere .
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
badhuis wrote:
Before I saw this topic I cleaned the workbench yesterday. It is not too bad now.

That's cheating!

Peter Laughing

Not really as I saw the topic only AFTER I removed all the rubbish off the worktop. Would;d be cheating if I cleared it in order to get a nice picture.

I know what you mean about camouflaging the garage. Two or three years needed to cover all brickwork I think:

baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My excuse is that a man with a tidy bench has too much time on his hands.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
peter scott wrote:
badhuis wrote:
Before I saw this topic I cleaned the workbench yesterday. It is not too bad now.

That's cheating!

Peter Laughing

Not really as I saw the topic only AFTER I removed all the rubbish off the worktop. Would;d be cheating if I cleared it in order to get a nice picture.

I know what you mean about camouflaging the garage. Two or three years needed to cover all brickwork I think:

Candidate for the nicest looking garage frontage!! very tidy Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

RJ

Thank you! However it is not the frontage but a door to the garden. When I built the garage I thought it would be useful to have a garden door big enough for a trailer to go through. For big plants, or soil, or tree leaves or other rubbish. My garden has no other entrance. So I found this second hand wooden door a two hour drive away. The drive back was a bit scary because it was very wide - 2,5 meters. I was lucky not to see any police!

This is the front of the house, we bought the 1902 red house in 1993. Bought the white building in 1998 (which was originally a public bath house erected in 1961- reason for my user name here), used that as a garage with a big garage door in the front wall for a few years, converted it to a living room and added the three windows in 2008, and then added the garage next to it with an ordinary garage door (but very useful being electric and 3 meters wide).

Picture from 1972. The gym building on the right was demolished 2008.

MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:

RJ

It would look particularly good with a Bugatti parked in it, just for the shape if nothing else.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a good excuse to clear workshop and bench as I'm moving house a long way away and closing my business.
Maybe you can help answer this though...........Yesterday I pulled everything movable out of the workshop and filled twelve big boxes.Whilst doing so I decided to be really ruthless and clear all the spares that need repairing and are for cars I no longer own anyway,the tools I made for some job or another that was too long ago to remember and the stuff that "will come in handy one day". When I finished I had thirteen boxes to put back in. How does that happen?.
I have hundreds,maybe thousands of car magazines,I hate to send them to recycling,any ideas?. I dont want to try same sort of 'plan' with them or maybe there'll be even more of the blasted things when they go back.
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
...Yesterday I pulled everything movable out of the workshop and filled twelve big boxes ... When I finished I had thirteen boxes to put back in. How does that happen?.

That's why my bench is in a mess; the more you organise things, the more space they take up! That's my excuse, anyway Very Happy
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
I have hundreds,maybe thousands of car magazines,I hate to send them to recycling,any ideas?. I dont want to try same sort of 'plan' with them or maybe there'll be even more of the blasted things when they go back.

Car magazines are very difficult to get rid of without just throwing them out - you've only got to look at the autojumbles where there are boxes and boxes of them for hardly any money. One way might be to take some with you next time you do a show (if you do shows, that is), put them in front of the car, and a sign saying "free magazines, please help yourself". They'll probably go, and at least you'll know someone vaguely interested has taken them.

Other options are your local Freecycle group, but it does mean joining Freecycle (though it's quite easy to leave) unless you know someone that's in it.

I've seen quite a few posts on other forums where people have this stuff, offer it free to anyone who'll collect, but then post up that no-one was interested so it went to recycling. A real pity.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
baconsdozen wrote:

Car magazines are very difficult to get rid of without just throwing them out - you've only got to look at the autojumbles where there are boxes and boxes of them for hardly any money. One way might be to take some with you next time you do a show (if you do shows, that is), put them in front of the car, and a sign saying "free magazines, please help yourself". They'll probably go, and at least you'll know someone vaguely interested has taken them.

A friend of mine adopted this strategy (you may have seen his boxes of mags at The Elephant). He did well and got rid of most of his magazines, the only downside was that it was junior that heaved them across to my car, so that he could use them to create a scrapbook .. mmm Confused

RJ
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
MikeEdwards wrote:
baconsdozen wrote:

A friend of mine adopted this strategy (you may have seen his boxes of mags at The Elephant). He did well and got rid of most of his magazines, the only downside was that it was junior that heaved them across to my car, so that he could use them to create a scrapbook .. mmm Confused

RJ

What I've ended up doing with old mags is to cut out any article that's particularly interesting or potentially useful and file that seperately before slinging the rest out. It reduces the volume a bit but does of course take up a fair bit of time. Nowadays I've realised that the best bet is not to buy the damn things in the first place... Laughing Laughing Laughing
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
What I've ended up doing with old mags is to cut out any article that's particularly interesting or potentially useful and file that seperately before slinging the rest out. It reduces the volume a bit but does of course take up a fair bit of time. Nowadays I've realised that the best bet is not to buy the damn things in the first place... Laughing Laughing Laughing

That is what I did too, 20 years ago. So now I have these folders containing very interesting articles on the various models. But I never ever looked into one of them so what is the point? Very Happy

I always find that my next interest is in something I never thought of before, or for which I do not have much info available. At present it is the Jaguar XJS, a car which I always dismissed as being too modern. Already bought a book and looking at websites... Shocked
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must confess I found my XJS to be a bit of a let down,a decent tourer maybe but no sportscar.
I'll have to bite the bullet and send the mags to recycling, Im moving a lnng distance and having to have a serious cull in the unwanted stuff department.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
I must confess I found my XJS to be a bit of a let down,a decent tourer maybe but no sportscar.
I'll have to bite the bullet and send the mags to recycling, Im moving a lnng distance and having to have a serious cull in the unwanted stuff department.

Does where you're moving to have a garage?

RJ
Rusty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
MikeEdwards wrote:
baconsdozen wrote:

RJ

I noticed that there is hardly any "men's" interest magazines at the doctors and dentists surgery, its all women's weekly, girlfriend and vogue etc., so I started taking a few and leaving them in the waiting room when I go to the doc, dentist, physio or whoever and it pleases me no end when I go back a few months later and they are all dogeared from the number of blokes who have been thumbing through them.

I might add that "my" bench is as neat and tidy as I have ever had !
(but that's because I have a new shed and I haven't had enough time to get it back to normal)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: