classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tour to Geraldton
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Tour to Geraldton Reply with quote

Starting next Sunday (August 30th) I will be joining a Veteran Car Club of Western Australia ten day excursion to Geraldton in my 1926 Chrysler.

There are 16 couples, all in old cars, that will be meandering up to Geraldton, enjoying the wildflowers en-route. We are staying at old country pubs in towns on the way, taking plenty of time out to see heritage buildings and museums. We will also be visiting country members of the VCC to see their collections and projects.

Geraldton is only about 250 miles north of Perth, but our meanderings will at least triple this mileage!

I'll post some photo's when I get back!

Keith
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home again! Travelled just over 1000 miles (1600km) and the Chrysler never missed a beat!

20 cars started from Perth and about 18 finished. Cars ranged from 1926 to a 1984 Cadillac. There were three 1926 vehicles:- an Austin Light Twelve tourer, a 3 litre Bentley tourer and my Chrysler. Next oldest was a 1933 Dodge Truck.

We stayed at country hotels throughout - just like a time warp! No en-suites, just a walk along the corridor in the middle of the night for us old farts!! The food was great, the hospitality great and the Geraldton branch of the VCC really did us proud. We even appeared on local television as we entered the city of Geraldton!

The only down side was to see these delightful small country towns slowly dying. People are leaving in droves for the bright lights of the cities leaving many of the shops boarded up. Very sad. I think this is a worldwide problem.

We visited a number of VCC country members and spent many happy hours crawling through their barns and sheds. I have enclosed a few photos here. Seeing as it was called a wildflower tour, I've even posted a photo of the wildflowers that grow in profusion all over the central west.

Keith

1926 Austin Light Twelve
[/img]

1926 Chrysler in Geraldton
[img][/img]

1929 Chevrolet International (in a farm shed)
[img]

1933 Dodge Truck
[/img]

3 old ladies
[img]

1937 Chrysler
[/img]

New Norcia Hotel
[img]

Wildflowers beside the road
[/img]

Late twenties Willys Truck
[img]

Lunch stop
[/img]

Late forties British Bedford Truck
[img][/img]
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed your photos update - what superb finds, and scenery too, must have been a memorable trip. There are some cracking dusty finds there, a friend of mine in Oz regularly sends me photos of things he finds at remote auctions and the like, makes me very jealous Smile Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're very lucky with the weather, Rick. Cars left out in a paddock with their windows up, last for donkey's years before becoming completely rusted away. The exceptions are tourers of course. Once the hood starts to leak, within a couple of years the unholstery, instruments and floor's gone too!

I only posted a small fraction of the derelict vehicles we saw. Most were under cover, which makes me happy, because even if the current owner does nothing with them, someday they will pass on to someone who will!

Keith
MONTBREHAIN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics ,Looked like a good time . thanks for posting "MO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: