classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1967 Morris Minor 4 door restoration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: 1967 Morris Minor 4 door restoration. Reply with quote

This is our MM, JOP 102E, which is a 1967 example that we saw on Ebay with plenty of MOT and a very tempting Buy it Now price. We had it transported down from Birmingham, where it has spent all its life (the previous owner lived only a few miles from the former Austin factory in Longbridge). It turned out to be an extremely solid car, but the paint let it down.

Here's a picture of it arriving:

Today we got the old Moggy out of the garage where it had sat since it got too cold for spraying in December. It started first turn of the key, not bad! And today it went from this:

To this:

Still plenty of work to do, but it's a very good solid basis for a project.

Last edited by Richard H on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update on the black Morris.

Just a small amount of fitting up needed now. Almost there Very Happy
P3steve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo's the black one looks good now you have a coat of paint on it, not a bad looking finish either.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks grand Richard

First car I ever drove was a Minor also the first car I ever spun Embarassed

Went into a roundabout hit some ice and backed out off the roundabout, still on the right road though Laughing Laughing

Mind you I was still at school, and it was my Grandmothers. she never let me drive it again.

Roger.
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - thanks, the finish isn't perfect as the surface underneath wasn't that good, it was sprayed outside with basic equipment, and it hasn't been cut back yet, but I'm quite happy with it Smile

Roger - I did exactly the same thing with my first A35, hit some black ice, spun through 360 degrees between the kerb and a bollard, and miraculously escaped without any damage. A water main had burst overnight and I was one of the first people to travel on it that morning - oh dear Embarassed
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do people think about the numberplates? We think the rear one may be the original. I fancy a set of black and silver ones, but my dad likes the early reflective type and wants to get another one to match for the front. Being a 1967 car, it could have had either from new. Any ideas...
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H wrote:
What do people think about the numberplates? We think the rear one may be the original. I fancy a set of black and silver ones, but my dad likes the early reflective type and wants to get another one to match for the front. Being a 1967 car, it could have had either from new. Any ideas...

One of my late 60s Spitfires had similar plates to that on it. I guess with the raised plastic letters and reflective background they are in period, although the silver on black will always look older and perhaps more in keeping? They also look good on a black car Smile

Any more progress with the MM?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Richard H

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick

The rubbing down and T-cutting is finished now, apart from the roof. It is looking very smart. The new red pinstripes have also been fitted. The rear bumper and lights are on, and it's been taken on several runs. To begin with there was an elusive misfire, the original coil was leaking so we changed that and tried it down the road - no difference. Then we tried a different distributor cap and a better looking set of leads (the originals were mismatched and very old). It misfired for the first 300 yards then cleared - it hasn't played up since Confused

Anyway it looks great and I'll put some pictures up later Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: