classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Easy steering with a horse box /caravan or trailer.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Easy steering with a horse box /caravan or trailer. Reply with quote

This may be well known to drivers that tow things.

Our garden is not the easiest to steer a horsebox/caravan or trailer into especially into the space down the side of the house.A boat owner friend of ours suggested I put a tow hitch on the front of my landrover . This makes parking so easy hitch the trailer on the front and you can see exactly which way it is going...I bet all you members know this already but some may not.

Pat
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you see if you are pushing a caravan or horsebox.Its bound to block your view. Whereas if you are reversing in you can see where you are going through your wing mirrors. Confused
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1966 SWB Land Rover that I occasionally borrow from a friend has two front tow balls. One in the centre if you are squeezing the outfit into a tight space and one about two feet towards the passenger side so you can see alongside whatever you are pushing.

He uses it in his boatyard and as Pat says it really does help with precison manoeuvring.
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: not a problem Reply with quote

71marina wrote:
How can you see if you are pushing a caravan or horsebox.Its bound to block your view. Whereas if you are reversing in you can see where you are going through your wing mirrors. Confused

I used to use this method when I had already decided where I needed to park and check it was clear. In our garden I had to negotiate a long curved drive ,low walls either side of the drive and then into a narrow gap down the side of the house.I could see exactly where I was going and could easily avoid touching the walls.I was doing all of five miles an hour .Mind you the men in the family could do this easily by using the mirrors.Useful also for rescuing friends out of the mud.I do not have to go into the mud just use a tow rope P.
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
The 1966 SWB Land Rover that I occasionally borrow from a friend has two front tow balls. One in the centre if you are squeezing the outfit into a tight space and one about two feet towards the passenger side so you can see alongside whatever you are pushing.

He uses it in his boatyard and as Pat says it really does help with precison manoeuvring.

Thanks...I'm pleased someone else has successfully used this method . P.
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having driven articulated trucks with 45' trailers for a number of years I wouldn't find a need for this but I could see it being of advantage to someone who isn't used to reversing a trailer
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

47p2 wrote:
Having driven articulated trucks with 45' trailers for a number of years I wouldn't find a need for this but I could see it being of advantage to someone who isn't used to reversing a trailer

How splendid !I have always admired folks like you making it all look so simple.Although I have towed a 22 foot glider trailer ,only once in an emergency.But there would be no way I could have reversed that into a confined space.My husband did it without any problem.

Thanks for yet another interesting answer P.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantages of front mounted hitches has little to do with the ability to reverse a trailer.

By having the steering wheels of the vehicle closer to the trailer one can place the trailer into a position that is just not possible when reversing.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
47p2 wrote:

I have noticed that a lot of what I believe are called Wagon and Drag rigs, whether close coupled or those with a pivoting front axle on the trailer, have a hitch in the centre of the front bumper.
Presumably it makes it easier to position the trailer into a loading bay and then put the wagon in a second bay for quicker unloading of both components.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A neighbour who is dissabled and a caravaner, uses something like this to move his van around to the back of the house

http://www.rhynomovers.com/
47p2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried reversing a wagon & drag so I'm unable to verify this for you Penman
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
47p2 wrote:

I have noticed that a lot of what I believe are called Wagon and Drag rigs, whether close coupled or those with a pivoting front axle on the trailer, have a hitch in the centre of the front bumper.
Presumably it makes it easier to position the trailer into a loading bay and then put the wagon in a second bay for quicker unloading of both components.

A waggon with two or three trailers, showmen can only reverse the full load about 3 feet without having to draw forward, then try again, it is a nightmare!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a towbar on the front bumper also makes the steering wheels closer to the unit, so in effect a rear steared vehicle, which responds quicker, in my oppinion.

Reversing with a stacker truck is the same, although I numally put it on the front tines and push it.

Having the towbar offest to one side is good if you have the space, but it still pays to have a banksman so to speak.

You want to try backing a combine, with the header behind it or heres another a steam roller with watercart. Laughing

Cheers

Dave
Pat Russell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Amazement Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Having a towbar on the front bumper also makes the steering wheels closer to the unit, so in effect a rear steared vehicle, which responds quicker, in my oppinion.

Reversing with a stacker truck is the same, although I numally put it on the front tines and push it.

Having the towbar offest to one side is good if you have the space, but it still pays to have a banksman so to speak.

You want to try backing a combine, with the header behind it or heres another a steam roller with watercart. Laughing

Cheers

Dave

I'm amazed at the response to my original message. Thanks to all.P.
poodge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote:have a hitch in the centre of the front bumper. ]
In actual fact,these fittings are to tow the vehicle when disabled.They are however also useful for the purpose stated,i.e. reversing the trailer.However,it seems reversing isn't neccessary as often as it used to be.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: