classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Service it yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Service it yourself. Reply with quote

I am horrified at the service bills for our modern 2-year-old car. I can run the three classics I have for three years on the cost of one of these services.
Problem is, all this electronic gizmo and the need for special equipment leaves you entirely in the main dealers hands.
Can anyone suggest a car built in the last ten years that lacks all of this advanced equipment, is economical and easy to service in your own garage?
A couple of years ago I gave away my Peugeot 405 style diesel estate. This car ticked all of the boxes. I remember reading somewhere that the Ford Ka used a simple old pushrod engine? Are there any others?

If you had to buy a car less than ten years old: pleasant enough for the wife to be happy with, one that you could service yourself. What would you buy?
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't. It would have to be 15 years old to go on my classic insurance.
I recently bought a Land Rover Discovery as a 'modern' that was 20 years old and so went on my policy. They are easy enough to maintain as long as you don't get any electickery like ABS or engine management. And the parts are cheap.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently got rid of our late '99 Volvo V70 estate, the electronic throttle and numerous other electrical maladies made it virtually un-driveable. Had I bought an early '99 example, I'd have benefited from a traditional distributor and plug leads, cable throttle, and other simplicities. Much better imho. The '98 S40 saloon we had was also a lot simpler than the V70 under the bonnet, and was an excellent car.

We bought a later V70 as a replacement, it has half the mileage of the previous V70 so I'm just hoping it holds together for a decent amount of time despite its underbonnet electrickeries.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peppiB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last 'modern' car I had was a 53 plate Skoda Octavia and I managed to do the servicing on that.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '95 Celica, I did all the servicing myself and changed the clutch by myself. I could also get my tandem in the back. When it got to 160K it was time to move it on. Great car and very comfortable.
Dax Rush
47p2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 modern Mercs that I service myself. The only time they go to the dealership is if an electronic problem crops up and it needs plugged into the computer to diagnose the fault
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously avoid anything with a cat. Too expension too replace. Avoid anything with electronics in the fuel injection. You can probably see where I'm heading... Simple mechanical diesel fuel pump cars. There are plenty of Pugs and Fords to choose from that don't suffer from body corrosion but have straight forward mechanicals. They may be 15 or more years old but will run reliably with only small expenses at MOT time.

Peter
Geoffp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigtin, Mrs A has a 5 year old Nissan Almera which I think is the sort of car which would fit the bill. It has all the electronics but they are fairly straightforward and reliable and in two years absolutely nothing has gone wrong. It is also roomy enough for four and their luggage, and the climate control and electric windows would no doubt prove acceptable. Smile

The local garage services it; the owner bought his wife one as he also rates them highly. This year it's combined service and MOT cost £120, which isn't too bad for a year's motoring. It also has a chain-driven cam so no routine belt replacements. On the other hand it is just a domestic appliance with absolutely no character, but which does start first time every time. One could make a handy back-up for something more interesting but less predictable Smile

Geoff
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 3 modern vehicles, all bristling with electronic gadgets and sensors that tell you everything that years ago one kinda knew by life's experience, common sense or actually listening and feeling.

I have the OBI 1 Kenobi thing that decodes the numbers, why can't they just tell you in plain English ?

We get some extremes of weather here and 1 of the vehicles is not used in the winter but does clock up some long days in the summer when we take our road trips to the U.S.

I have had a vehicle now for some 46 years and recall the weekly Saturday service before heading out to drive 100 miles to the coast. Seems we replaced exhausts every other year, brakes were a constant pain. A battery lasted about 2 years and the thing would die at any temperature that even came close to freezing.

Our present summer car is nearly 2 years old and has 35k miles. Apart from oil change and a seat belt sensor all we do is clean it.

The SUV is 5 years old and 180k miles. It has had tires, discs, pads, wipers and two wheel bearings, I changed them all save the tires.

The big truck is 4 years old and has 60k miles. Tires, last week, pads, discs, wipers.

Why do I have an OBI ? because the previous summer car kept flashing the warning lights for a faulty ABS/front bearing/ Traction Control problem, it turned out to be a broken wire in a connector.

It is now several years since I said goodbye to the old cars. For me it was case of been there, done that and have the T Shirt, my life is very different now but I still retain an interest. It is for that reason that I come to this forum.

That's its folks.

Peter.
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My modern car is a 1993 Subaru Legacy 2.2 auto station.
I chose the Subaru because it fitted all requirements: big load cargo, self levelling suspension (air) which is useful when towing a car trailer, 4WD for the same plus the possiblilty to take it to the Alps in the winter, the luxury of modern motoring (effective heater, elec windows, mirrors, heated seats, air con, multi point injection). Being a modern it can live on the street and does not rust.
And I like the Subaru also because it is technically interesting having a boxer engine and AWD, frameless windows etc. I could not live with just an ordinary Opel/Vauxhall/Ford or Toyota. There must be something interesting.

Being a Subaru it is well build and low maintenance. For example, it has hydraulic tappet adjusters. The exhaust is still the original! There's an active user forum for these old Legacys and parts are cheap and no problem - except for the expensive air suspension which I had to replace because the rubber bellows age. That done, it will be fit for the next 15 years.
The existence of that forum does help, questions are promptly answered and a big help in DIY maintenance.

That said, I had one problem which proved difficult to find: a broken throttle position sensor caused the mid clutch (transferring the power to the rear wheels) to fail making it almost undriveable. But the help from the forum solved that.

Bought three years ago for 1500 pounds, two owner car, 75K miles, service history. No one wants such an old car because it is an old car.
I once looked at a newer Outback but what will I gain? Nothing. So decided once again to keep the Sub for a very long time.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 2004 Golf, what a dull dull dull, OK you get the picture. I always use my Midget when I can. I just cannot fit anything bigger than a lunch box in it.
Dax Rush
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guy's. Looks like I'll stick to my Sprite for a while longer. Just received my invalids blue card for parking. Looks incongruous in a sports car and draws unwelcome attention. Added to the fact that it's likely to be stolen unless I fit the hardtop.

Don.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: