classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Grit, and Grit Bins
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Grit, and Grit Bins Reply with quote

Hi

Where have all the grit bins gone? I could understand if they were low or empty, due to recent weather, but I was in need of some grit earlier yesterday, and I went to look for one, anyway, still haven't found one.

I had to manage with out!

On my way home, I had a drive around, including several council carparks, and not one has any grit bins on them.

Cheers

Dave
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here..there used to be plenty but the morons of our society chucked all their empty cans and bottles and such like in them and the council probably removed them for that reason. Shocked
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road where I live has a right angle bend and while one half thaws with a little sun, the other half remains frozen until the temperature rises. Every winter it is the same chaos as cars hit the frozen section. I have asked my local councilor several times to have a grit bin placed there Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes What a waste of time he is..... I'll remind him again when he comes around just before the election Very Happy
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bin at the end of my road is forever being tipped over by persons unknown (kids or drunks or maybe just idiots?) spilling the contents onto the road. I am surprised the Council have not removed that one. They would have a legitimate reason.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I might go to the council yard, asking for some grit, due to not having any anywhere else! See what they say to me!

Oh, and that ice melting crystal stuff, that is really dear, hasn't worked one bit, we spread it all over the yard, next day they crystals had become frozen within the ice, like little flakes of snow!

Cheers

Dave
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Salt.......no use whatsoever. The only downside with the grit is that no matter how you try you always seem to drag it into the house. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think salt works on roads because the tyres from cars soften the snow and the salt stops it from refreezing. We had a lorry stuck in the car park so I put some grit/rock salt in a wedge shape behind his rear tyres. It worked fine and at the end of the day a metre diameter circle of ice had melted.
71marina, the same is true for gravel driveways it always seems to get in the house, car and stuck in the bottom of my shoes.
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: