classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Unleaded fuel with lead replacement thingies??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the higher idle speed was also to enable the engine to be run a little on the lean side to help with emissions, thus promoting run on.
Dax Rush
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic,

Yes it was.

When the Austin America (1300) came over it was fitted with an air pump which pumped air into the exhaust to provide an 'afterburner' effect. This was one way of reducing the unburned hydrocarbons to get a pass on the emision numbers. The only problem was the Yanks and Canadians would start them up and go back in for another cup of coffee on a cold morning only to find the carpets smouldering when they came back out. The exhaust would get cherry red without the airflow.

Art
jessejazza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: unleaded fuel Reply with quote

Kelsham wrote:
Hi, I can report suffering valve seat recession on my 1968 Morris 1800. It had done 30000 miles before showing symptoms.

I had a couple of thou i noticed after doing some heavy towing over 1200 miles. General use i didn't notice any. As for pellets (i tried later) they just stimulate fuel... i think she ran more smoothly - if there is a more complete burn the recession will be reduced. Same effect as running superunleaded i gather.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always understood - perhaps wrongly - that seat recession is caused by the friction of a tapered valve closing into a tapered seat. Rather like an old fashioned vinegar bottle and stopper with ground seats. The friction on those could be so great with the steep taper that they often jammed.
The tetra-ethyl lead in the leaded petrol was deposited on the valve seats and acted as a lubricant to reduce friction and wear, although its original addition was to improve Octane Rating.
The softer cast iron seats on older vehicles suffered more than the harder, later, cast iron seats which often had "chills" in the mould to promote quicker cooling where needed for hardness.
I do not believe that "cleaner combustion" has any bearing on recession.

I still maintain that even where recession is detected it is best to take no action until the situation becomes extreme. Even opening up valve clearances every few thousand miles will enable enough savings in additives not used to pay for insert fitting WHEN necessary with probably enough left over to take a holiday!
Trouble is - I never put my savings on one side for the holiday! But maybe I still have time because my 160,000 mile Triumph engine does not need them yet!
Now it's time to be shot down again!
Jim.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the valve seat erosion was caused by the valve trying to weld itself to the seat,so called micro welding.This was supposed to allow the transfer of metal particles that then in effect ground the valves in.(I suppose pretty much in the cork and bottle fashion).
I think the truth is that there is no definitive answer as to wether valve seats on engines will recede or not on unleaded as there are just too many variables.If you use an additive and don't get recession thats fine,if you don't and still don't get recession then thats fine too.Personally for the few pence it costs I pour some in but if I forget or run out I don't lose too much sleep over it.
Regarding sulphur in diesel,I remember reading that BOSCH had said that the reduction in sulphur content had caused problems with some of their newer pumps with seals drying out and acceraled wear due to a reduction in lubricity.My memeory isn't what it was but I seem to remember that other chemicals are removed with the sulphur and these might result in the wear and seal drying issues.
jessejazza

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
I have always understood - perhaps wrongly - that seat recession is caused by the friction of a tapered valve closing into a tapered seat. Rather like an old fashioned vinegar bottle and stopper with ground seats. The friction on those could be so great with the steep taper that they often jammed.
The tetra-ethyl lead in the leaded petrol was deposited on the valve seats and acted as a lubricant to reduce friction and wear, although its original addition was to improve Octane Rating.
The softer cast iron seats on older vehicles suffered more than the harder, later, cast iron seats which often had "chills" in the mould to promote quicker cooling where needed for hardness.
I do not believe that "cleaner combustion" has any bearing on recession.

I think you're partly right. But what i gathered was that the lower octane fuel will result in a different 'flame front' as it burns leaves small deposits on the seats which when they close being hard dig into the soft seats. It has the effect of 'microscopic welding as some folk call it.

Of course when unleaded came in one was told 'must get your heads done'... those who've waited haven't experienced the great recession that was claimed. As far as a classic goes use superunleaded as that's 97 ron (equivalent to 4 star and as you're not doing vast mileage you're not going to notice) and use the additive probably helps a little.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: