classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Re-importing a classic vehicle from the USA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re-importing a classic vehicle from the USA. Reply with quote

Can anyone give me any hints, tips or other useful information about the excercise? The vehicle was previously UK registered in 1939.

I have no idea where to start. I know there are shipping companies who handle such matters, but at what cost? Do they handle things throughout or only Port to Port? Presumably import (or re-import) documents are needed also, but where from? Are export documents needed from the USA?

Any help gratefully received, especially if based on past experience.

Jim.
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it all yourself, I have several times, but have also used this company http://www.britishtransit.com/

I normally like to go get the car myself and get it to the port in the U.S. On the only occasion I didn't do that because the car was on the west coast, I used the company above, as they came recommended.

If the car was registered here, you may be able to get the original number if you have enough evidence to back it up. I know of cars that have been re-imported and given the original number.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Habit wrote:
If the car was registered here, you may be able to get the original number if you have enough evidence to back it up. I know of cars that have been re-imported and given the original number.

The car still has its original UK registration plate built into a glass covered recess in the body at the rear, behind the bumper mounted California plate. Do you think that would be sufficient evidence? I also have a photograph of the car in use in this Country, and though rare I suppose it could be argued that it is not the same car though the same registration is clearly visible in the photograph..

At the moment I am unsure whether any original documents exist. What do you think?

Can you give me any kind of ballpark figure from the American West Coast?

Jim.
Salopian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Habit wrote:
Y

And I know of cars that have been reimported having been shipped as unregistered bare chassis and given an "original" number!
I feel you will need some documentary evidence however and this is a really down to how lucky you are regarding the original registration records or possession of an old tax disc/logbook etc.
From what you say it sounds as if the car is such as an MG SA or similar with the period rear illuminated number plate.
traction39

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the registration number, you could try the "counties" record office. I did this for a car I was trying to gain more evidence of its original registation. I had a picture only. Maybe, I was lucky, but I did receive a certified copy of the log book giving chassis and engine number for a small sum. In the event, the number is unavailable and I assume running around on some other car.

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending where the car was registered, there's an outside chance that the old registration records still survive. For instance I'm told that Kent records are still in existence, so I need to pursue them re the Austin 7. Otherwise, you'll need to hope that some old paperwork confirming the car's original registration still exists with it.

Being pre-1950 it'll come in at a lower rate of duty compared to newer vehicles.

Out of curiosity, is this by any chance a car that we talked about via email quite recently???

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: