classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Valve Seat Cutter set recommendation please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Valve Seat Cutter set recommendation please Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest where I can buy a reliable valve seat cutter set? I bought one from an eBay vendor, serves me right. It turned out to have been made in India and the cutters must have been fashioned from silver-painted ghee. They did most of one set of valves and that was it, completely done for, so now I need a new set. Nothing fancy, but it would be nice if it could do a few dozen operations before it needs replacing - I work on classic cars for a living so it would probably get used two or three times a year.

None of the usual tool vendors I've used in the past list them, and I don't live in an area where there is much in the way of engineering suppliers - so can anyone suggest a source please?
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,

Have you tried Tracy Tools? http://www.tracytools.com/index.htm

Peter
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peter, Thanks for the suggestion; I phoned them today but they say it's not a type of tool they sell. Their only suggestion was that I approach Sykes Pickavant directly - which seemed like a bit of a long shot to me. Any other ideas, anyone?
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from MCA (Aston) Ltd in Birmingham. This company is still going but is trade only. Give them a call to see if they still make them and then their local stockist can supply them. They are for motorcycles primarily but they have been fine for the few car valve seats that I have used them on.

Have a look at: http://www.mca-aston.co.uk/

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: