classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Overheating
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salopian, you wrote 'I've used Valvoline 10w50 fully synthetic (acquired some old stock at a very good price) in my 1928 Sunbeam 20.9hp with complete success. '.

Have you got a full flow oil filter in your 'Beam?

Kind Regards, WLC
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to my original question in the thread! I used my Vauxhall 14/40 of 1926 vintage for towing my Eccles caravan to an local show. My journey was about 30 miles to the showground and unfortunately my cooling system again protested. It seems the engine is an little underpowered for what I am asking of it. I am selling my Vauxhall and on the lookout for an 20hp vintage car, I am assured that 20hp is really the minimum power that will do the work that I wish for. I have now removed the towbar from my Vauxhall and will continue vintage motoring with nothing in tow, meanwhile my 1.9tdi is being pressed into towing service Idea
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of this stuff Thomas.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6049/RED-LINE-WATER-WETTER/product_info.html

I daresay you already have an opinion about catch-pennies.
However, if you don't know Merlin Motorsport, they have been established for some time and have a very good reputation amongst Motorsport enthusiasts.
As has that Redline stuff.

They also sell a number of other toys to keep your motor cool, notably an electric water pump.
Normally, a gizmo adjusts the flow rate through the system, that is, the more heat the engine produces, the faster the pump turns.
On the down side, I've never seen a 12v version, but I daresay they are available.

I am sorry that I didn't bring these to your attention before you decided to sell, but at least they are on the site to help other folks now.
Here's hoping you never again need them.

Kind Regards, WLC
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas, may I suggest that before going in search of a replacement tow-car you equip yourself with something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Infrared-IR-Digital-Thermometer-temperature-Gun-229-/170506312725?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27b2f7dc15

With it, you can get a very good idea of the how freely or otherwise the water is flowing through the rad on whatever you look at.

A series of temp readings across the radiator near the top when the top hose is hot and the engine running at a fast tickover will give you a very good idea how much of it is blocked.
If you can't get in to take readings from the front, switch the engine off and take 'em from the back.

Kind Regards, WLC
Salopian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WLC4EVA wrote:

Salopian, you wrote 'I've used Valvoline 10w50 fully synthetic (acquired some old stock at a very good price) in my 1928 Sunbeam 20.9hp with complete success. '.

Have you got a full flow oil filter in your 'Beam?

Kind Regards, WLC

I have now - I didn't then! Anyway I'm back on the dino now.

JB
WLC4EVA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, I don't quite know how to put this, but, er um, most synthetic oils came out of a hole in the ground Mr Salopian Sir.

Kind Regards, WLC
Salopian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Dino in the sense of non synthetic rather than synthetic part or full/ester or otherwise.

JB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: