classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Classic as a daily driver
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Car-Nut

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Classic as a daily driver Reply with quote

Last year I sd my BMW E30 325i which I'd restored and was it was a replaced with a mk4 Golf Gti t I so miss my last car...

Anyone here drive a classic (over 25yrs old) as there daily car Question
'70 420G - 17th from last RHD
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run my 1960/61 Standard 10 as a "regular user" on probably 90% of the trips I make, usually local runs. Longer trips I tend to use our V70 but whenever I can it's the classic I use. Admittedly if I had to do motorway runs on a regular basis I'd probably go back to running a 122S Volvo, preferably with overdrive. Other alternatives I'd look at for a daily user would include the ZA/ZB MG Magnette, Austin Westminster, and maybe a Series 1 XJ6.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
michael1703

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont own a modern car, 79 is the newest so no choice

58 p4,2 ford thames 400e's 1960 and 1965,1968 420g,1969 minor,1970 nsu prinz,1972 mgb,1978 mgb,1979 scimitar

but... i dont commute really as my workshop is 700 metres from home

my girlfriend commutes 300 miles a week in the mgb or p4 and will be using the scimitar soo too

ive saved fortunes on the crap that modern cars consume, cat converters,dual mass flywheels,brake disc etc
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here our newest car is 1972 and I use one or other every day on the commute to work - 24 miles round trip. My wife uses them for shopping as well
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - I use my 1957 Austin A35 every day, rain or shine, I go everywhere in it as it's the only car I'm insured for at the moment. The other day I went to North Norfolk then on to Kent then back again. It's not the fastest or in its first flush of youth but I like it Smile
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although my wife cycles everywhere,even 8 miles to work then back again,she has a modified and uprated 1961 Morris Minor Traveller she uses for everyday duties. Very Happy

She gets chatted up more having the car with her than if she wore a short shirt and low cut top. Well that`s what she tells me. Exclamation Exclamation

Talking to a lady in the supermarket,the lady casually informed her that seeing a Morris Minor in the carpark,she had to park next to it because her grandson was mad about them. Very Happy

Some youngsters do have taste. Shocked

Who needs speed dating,chat rooms,internet dating etc etc,get a nice classic and interact with the public wherever you go. Cool

Sitting at some traffic lights a while ago,some twenty something year old girls walked by,"Thats nice""Cor what I could do with that" they said,no not the grey haired driver but the car,chirped up the wife. Exclamation Exclamation Oh well. Sad
Gresham.
P3steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Rick I ran my 1957 Standard Ten as a daily driver for a few years but its now off the road for some remedial body work issues and as much as I would like to I'm just not brave enough to use my 1949 P3 Rover on a daily bases though it dose get used for such things as shopping runs and trips to the DIY all year round.
therobbiesmith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 1965 MGB roadster every day at the moment and have taken it to South Norfolk from Sussex twice. My Peugeot estate is hardly getting any use, however the forecast for the next few days is grim so the Peugeot may get some exercise - I'm not as young as I was.

Back in the 80s my everyday driver was a Morgan 4/4 and I only put the hood on if my passenger at the time was concerned about her hair. At 30mph or more the rain just passes by and only occasionally gets the back of your head wet. Although I followed a Double Decker Bus down a leafy lane once and every time he passed under a tree a couple of gallons of freezing water would land in my lap.

To pick up Gresham Flyer's thread here, a young lovely remarked 'Oh, nice!' the other day when I was getting in to my parked B and only later did it occur to me that instead of lamely answering 'Thanks' I should have said 'I try to stay in shape'.

Once, when travelling through central France and stuck at traffic lights in my bright yellow Morgan, a lady pedestrian remarked ' Quelle jolie Morgan!' and, as I was kerbside in my right-hand-drive car, I was able to have a short conversation with her about Morgans before the lights changed.

In England the usual comment I got was 'What's that then, a kit-car?'

There's no accounting . . .

Smile
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not fathomed out why exactly, but the Standard does seem to be popular with the ladeeez Smile Twice while filling up with fuel I've had lady drivers wander over for a closer look - at the car - and at a different garage the young lass behind the till commented favourably on it, and ended by saying that it must be worth a fortune Laughing

The Cambridge never seemed to attract the attentions of the fairer sex, can't imagine why. I think it came across as being a "grandad's" car.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to trundle about in my Mk1 transit camper most of the time but although I've still got it my drivings now done in a 97 Fairway taxi. OK so it's not 25 years old but its done well over 350,000 miles so it sort of counts.
cswagon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 1938 Austin 7 Ruby every day to get to and from work (only 6 miles though) and when the flywheel came loose the other day necessitating the engine and box out for a week I dropped back on my 1957 A35.
Makes going to work a joy, and coming home.
It's just the bit in the middle.
Graham.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Admittedly if I had to do motorway runs on a regular basis I'd probably go back to running a 122S Volvo, preferably with overdrive.
RJ

Another vote for a Volvo Amazon, as a great all rounder. I use mine most days to go to work - only 6 miles each way, and also for longer runs when travelling solo. My wife doesn't like travelling in it so I have a 14 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee for family trips.

I also do over 1000 miles each year towing my Safari Caravan behind the Volvo
pigtin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between 1985 and 2000 we used a 1932 austin 10/4 as a second car. Memsahib always used it for shopping but talking to admirers usually made her late home.
Started using it again this year but things are very different: we have been spoiled by the power steering on our moderns and the oldies seem very hard work. The roads are around town are appalling compared to ten years ago or even when the car was first driven 78 years ago. Progress???
Still find my 69 Sprite a pleasant drive and would use it every day but for a few small problems: With the hood down I do not dare use my blue badge for parking, in case it gets stolen. With the hood or hardtop on it is difficult for my creaking old bones to get in, and out.

Must say I fancy a Farina A40, or Morris Minor for the rack and pinion steering. I shall have to revise my fleet I fear.

Don.
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I've not fathomed out why exactly, but the Standard does seem to be popular with the ladeeez Smile Twice while filling up with fuel I've had lady drivers wander over for a closer look - at the car - and at a different garage the young lass behind the till commented favourably on it, and ended by saying that it must be worth a fortune Laughing

The Cambridge never seemed to attract the attentions of the fairer sex, can't imagine why. I think it came across as being a "grandad's" car.

RJ

I've never driven my Cambridge on the road, so I'm not sure of the reaction it'll get, all I know is the girls love the A35. They think it's cute, until they have to travel in it in the winter with a feeble heater and the windows open for demisting - THEN they complain! Laughing

Last edited by Richard H on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like Michael1703, I don't have a more modern car- and to be honest I don't want one! Two Rover P4's for most outings and a 1982 Rover SD1 can take me and the misses anywhere we want at any time we want.

From 1966 to 1990 we ran a 1928 Model A Ford as everyday transport and quite successfully too. I did have a few other cars from time to time during that period, but the A did everything asked of it and more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: