classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Radiator Styles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Giles 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Radiator Styles Reply with quote

Radiator styles.

The most easily distinguished feature of older cars is the radiator or its grill - one glance often establishes the maker and often the model.

Has anybody thought of producing an illustraed guide to these? The old Children's Encyclopaedia edited by Arthur Mee had at leat one page of illsutrations including such long-gone marques as Bean, Arrol-Johnson, Swift etc.

This book is long out of print and something comprehensive and brought up-to-date would surely be very welcome to many enthusiasts. I live by a road sometimes used by older vehicles on their way to rallies and am often intrigued by an unknown or long-forgotten radiator.

Such a volume if produced would surely be of great interest to many

Giles4
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got yourself a project!! Laughing
Paul
poodge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how far back you want to go,this would be a volume of monumental proportions.Certainly an interesting idea,as the grille is one of the main parts of recognition.
Another part possibly useful would be taillights.This would be somewhat smaller,as most of manufacturers bought in taillights from an outside source.But most were of an individual style,at least from about the 30's onwards.
Giles 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - tail lights another very distinctive feature. We often followed other vehicles for miles -sometimes far too many miles if we were in a hurry and the other driver wasn't- whereas radiators flashed by in the opposite direction.

No doubt any collection on either subject might need dividing into volumes. I do wish someone would do it!

Giles4
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles,

Welcome to the forum. A good suggestion and as Paul suggests "it sounds like you've got yourself a project!"

Poodge has also highlighted the equally important view from the rear so in boringly predictable style I have to add the importance of the side view and the identification of hubs. Wink

Peter
Giles 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something about the size of the Encyclopaedia Britannica seems to be evolving!

ATB

Giles 4
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you planning on creating such a book?

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is close.
Dax Rush
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me a book would be useless, I need a searchable database.

When I see one of Rick's mystery cars, one or two makes may come to mind and so I check my copy of Georgano's and if I am wrong, I have to give up.

Now a database, using physical attributes, (round top, square top, curved top corners, central vertical divider, vertical or horizontal slats, etc etc) would present the nearest 10 matches from which the correct radiator could be selected.
Giles 4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Radiator Styles Reply with quote

No not planning to compile the book myself - though might have done twenty years ago. There are plenty of sources and references but they are rather scattered and would need a greatd eal of organizing.

The database idea is good - one that a number of people could chip into. Some care would be needed about using (or not using) copyright material
doctorwhen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder someone really clever could use that "face recognition" technology they use for Passport metrics and the like to make an automated database?

That way, you could snap a camera-phone photo of a car's front or rear and upload it for instant clarification!

Now there's a challenge!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: