classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

SU Carb Needle Valve sticking
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, are you trying to explain the concept of negative pressure and pressure differential? Good luck, rather you than me. Wink
Dax Rush
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic Jarman wrote:
Jim, are you trying to explain the concept of negative pressure and pressure differential? Good luck, rather you than me. Wink

Just prompted by the mention of blocking off the air vent in an earlier posting Nic. Which I thought some people might see as a possible cure!
You mention "pressure differential". I did not!
My experience as a Motor Vehicle Lecturer taught me that very few people could get away from the "suck" idea with no relevent connection to ambient pressure (in most cases - without a blower and pressurised float chamber - atmospheric pressure). Rolling Eyes
With regard to "negative pressure" there is no such thing. Unless atmospheric pressure can be considered to be zero.
Jim.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often change the possition that things are viewed can help. I grew up with a research scientist father and a science teacher mother, what a nightmare! Remmember, the concept of a gravitational pull strong enough capture light was unthinkable not so long ago. Maybe someone will discover something that will be called negative pressure in relation to a vacuum. I was using the CONCEPT of one pressure being lower than another to emphesise the flow direction. I never did much like the transmission line analogy of an endless tunnel, I could grasp the idea of matched impeadence. If it works to help understanding then so be it.
Dax Rush
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, the breather holes are not blocked I think it's just sticky vales which I will replace for £6.00 each! Smile
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Seeing the discussion of all these physics concepts reminds me of the Centrifugal - centripetal thing where most people seem to mean the latter when they use the former

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Seeing the discussion of all these physics concepts reminds me of the Centrifugal - centripetal thing where most people seem to mean the latter when they use the former

Now you have made me remember being a student at the local Tech. Where the part time science Lecturer made a great shout about centrifugal and centripetal forces. He lost a great deal of our faith in him when he tried to prove that a motorcyclist must lean at a certain angle, given the speed and radius of the corner to maintain his balance. Nothing wrong with that? Well we never did convice him that the 'biker had to lean inwards NOT OUTWARDS!
Jim.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leaned outwards a few times and I have the scars to prove it.
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: