classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

I've called him Spitfire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: I've called him Spitfire Reply with quote

This is the runt of the litter. I've called him Spitfire, because he's a little fighter and what with it being the "Battle of Britain" anniversary, the name seemed to be appropriate. He was nearly three days old when I found him laying cold at the side of the whelping box. All alone and not moving, I thought he was dead. I held him in my hand and watch for a breath. There were two or three slow breaths and I got to thinking that this one is going to die. I quickly made up some Lactol Milk and started to try and force feed him. It took me about 5 hours of feeding every 10 to 20 minutes and getting a drop in each time. He eventually started to make a noise and wriggled about a bit. I continued to feed him for another hour or so, before I gave him back to his mum Ruby. He then started to feed from her, which I would rather he did. Over the next day I gave him a couple of meals of which he enjoyed so much that he groaned throughout the feed. He’s doing great right now and is holding his own with the rest of the litter at feeding times. He’s still only half the size of the others, but is still growing all the same.

This is the video of one of them groaning meals... lol

Click Here SPITFIRE
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cute Very Happy
well done for saving him, he's adorable!!
My pointer was also the runt of the litter but wasn't a fighter at all but was really the most submissive and timid of dogs!!!
will never have another one like him for sure!!
miss him a lot!!
petelang

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great tribute to battle of Britain day.
Well done and please, keep us posted with the occasional video.
Fluffle-Valve

Location: At my computer in a bungalow in Duston, Northampton.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the saving him from near death, I should have let nature take its course and watch him die. It turns out that he is disabled and will more than likely need a very expensive operation in the near future. He has a form of hip-dysplasia and bunny-hops rather than running. His legs and hips can/maybe be fixed, but it depends on how far the disability extends. We had a disabled dog (Lightning Dave) from our Ruby's last litter and I did just the same and saved him from near death and finished up having him put to sleep at 8 1/2 months old. It broke my heart to have to do it, but he couldn't eat or drink proper and on the vets advice I had him put to sleep. I cried all the way home and for days after I could do nothing but think of the poor dog that I had saved from death, but put to sleep in the end. I really hope that Spitfire doesn't go the same way, as he is following the same path as Lighting Dave but doesn’t seem to be as bad as him.
The good news is that all the pups have new homes to go to and we have also found a home for Spitfire. A retired lady got talking to my wife Paula at her shop and she told this lady about Spitfire. This lady Sylvia, after a couple of visits, has taken Spitfire with her and knows that he will be needing an operation at some point and she also knows that he may have to be put to sleep if all else fails. We have given him to her for free, knowing that it may be going to cost her lots of money and heart-ache in the future. She offered us £300 for him, but I said, "No, just please look after him and attend to his every need". She was a real genuine lady and I was happy to give Spitfire to her knowing that he will be looked after.
I'm feeling very sad right now, as he is gone from my life, but I shall be keeping in touch, just to see how he's getting on.
I have kept one pup from the litter and her name is Sapphire. This one was my favourite right from the start, but had to have an operation to help her eat proper. More on this dog in another thread.

Have a read of the Lightning Dave link above.

buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won't be little for long going like that at the bottle! Smile
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had a good read about lightning dave, great write up, and I'd say you definately did the right thing in saving him, at least he had 8 1/2 months of joyful living, it's hard to let them go in the end but that's life!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: