classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Farina Cambridges and Oxfords etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Farina Cambridges and Oxfords etc Reply with quote

Next in the occasional "reminiscence" threads, who has stories or experiences regarding the Farina-designed Cambridges, Oxfords, 16/60s, Magnettes, Riley 4/68s and 4/72s?

Maybe you were brought home from hospital in one after you were born, or perhaps bought a Farina as a first car?? Perhaps you drove one as a company car back in the day, or else you have one now and are restoring it? Do you remember them as dull old plodders, or reliable and roomy family motors? All memories welcome Smile

For my own part, I've had two big Farinas so far. Most recently, the '59 Cambridge that I ran as my regular user until earlier this year. A few years back I bought a Wolseley 16/60 from a former colleague who was moving house, and didn't have anywhere to put the car. With 2 or 3 days of MOT remaining, it needed new sills and some recommissioning work before it was returned to the road. I ran it for a while until, I think, it was replaced by a Standard Super 10.

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
barryG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Riley 4/68 I bought in 1990. It had rust in the wings, doors, sills and floors but went like a train! Brought it home from Bournemouth and it had a non working speedo, my mate was following in a Triumph 1300 and going up the A35 he started flashing his headlamps. I pulled over thinking something was wrong, he said that he was up to 85mph and I was outrunning him now, could I slow down!

Well, that kind of paints the picture of how my Riley was driven, I regularly used it to go to Tunbridge Wells to see a girlfriend and that car must of squealed its tyres on just about every bend on the A272... it was a real legend. It was known as Smiley on account of it made everyone happy, apart from a mate who was sitting in the back once, he commented on the speed we were doing and the effectivness of the brakes (or not). So, on a clear stretch of road I planted foot to the floor on the brake pedal and he ended up wedged between front and rear seats, after that he was quiet! I had many adventures in that Riley, was always reliable and plenty of filler hid that rust.

Yes, looking back it was no way to treat a 1961 classic, but I was young and knew no danger. Eventually, I sold the car on and I imagine it eneded up on a banger track someplace. XWV 247A (formerly 100 EBP) in two tone blue, are you there?

Later I had an A55 from 1960, this one was treated properly, but was very slow in comparison and never handled as well for some reason. Its still alive and well in the hands of Farina lovers. I guess its a case of going back never being the same?
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe I have ever even sat in any of this Farina range but I do have one little tale to tell about one.

In 1964 my local butcher bought a new Austin Cambridge and was given the registration number 1KO. I was at school with his son and asked how he got the number and he said the supplying dealer asked his Dad if he would like it or something less distinctive!

The number was transferred onto the Landcrab that replaced the Cambridge, and is now on one of Chris Eubank's customised trucks.

lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad bought one new to replace the ZA Magnette and I hated it! Driving the Magnette was fun, but that lump of old lard wheezed its way to 60 and cornered like a barge. I remember accelerating hard from the lights at Waterlooville on a rainy day and all I had was axle tramp and no forward motion. Yuk! Still, I grew up with one, perhaps it would be different if I came to one today, but I don't think so. I like my cars to have suspension that works.
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's part of the fun of owning old family cars! Wink

I've never owned one, although I've tried to buy two in the past, Rick's A55 MK2 which I was outbid on, and a 1970 Morris Oxford that had only had one previous owner and had never had a home outside Barrow Hall Road, Little Wakering. Unfortunately the owner wanted too much for it so I walked away. Eventually he sold it to someone (still in the same road) who got an MOT on it and tried to sell it straightaway. As far as I know he hasn't managed to sell it yet.

My grandad had one in the early 1970's, a 1963 A55 estate, 55 FFR. There is a picture of it somewhere, but I'm not sure where. In about 1973 it failed its MOT and was scrapped. The numberplate was then transferred onto his motorbike. I wonder what it's on now?
poodge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother owned a 67 wolseley 16/60 in the late 70's.It was an ex-taxi,and had a fair old mileage under it's crossplies.It was utterly reliable,but,being an automatic,as slow as a wet weekend.
That was probably just as well,it was well overdue for shock absorber replacement.Corners needed to be approached with caution,or you would slide off the seat with the roll action.But,doing deliveries for my other brother's cake shop at the time,I did appreciate the huge boot.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 1963 my Dad bought an early, rather beat up looking 1500cc Oxford Farina saloon registered WLH ***. However it drove and ran well enough to lead him to replace most of the Private Hire Fleet with later estate versions, both Morris and Austin. Later models with the bigger engine.
I bought it off him around 1967 with a phenominal mileage on the clock and ran it for a couple of years until the "brown stuff" said it had to go.
My enduring memory was its fuel consumption (or lack of it). It regularly turned in over 39 miles to a gallon and on a 1000 mile+ Cornish holiday (four up and child) it returned 39.7mpg. Including several climbs up Porlock Hill. Curiously, if pressed it gobbled engine oil and yet driven normally still managed over 400 miles to a pint right up to selling it on.
As a car of its time it was good and utterly reliable.
Oh, I did pack the seat runners with two strips of wood so I could see over the steering wheel more comfortably!
I replaced the Oxford with an A60 Estate, but it did not compare and I soon sold it.
Jim.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back a Riley Motor Club member died and left his 4/72 to the Club. It had been dry stored since the 80s, had very low mileage and apart from scubby paintwork was immaculate.
The Club ran it for a while, including taking it to Le Mans where it lapped the circuit, then sold it to a member in Ireland - most appropriate that it should now live in the Emerald Isle as it was green.
It was the one and only time I've been in a Farina and thoug it wasn't my cup of tea car-wise, it was perfectly OK for what it was, a medium size family saloon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: