classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Restoring my 1967 Thomson Glenalmond
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Ranger2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: tommy re-build Reply with quote

You deserve a medal - its hard to think now Thomson were one of the most popular makes around in 60's and early 70's. That 67 model is a rare one now but you have saved another part of the UK heritage - we scrap our industry background and here are you and some others showing what quality products we made. I can still smell the newness of a 1969 Glen Nevis and Glenelg my family wanted to buy, but we couldnt get one as they were all sold in late 69 so we ended up with a new Elddis Tornado which we towed with a new 1600E cortina great outfit looked smart. Well done and what a great job your doing

Ranger 2
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive comment Very Happy

Its true its far too easy (and cost effective) to scrap something than repair it but I expect most people with old cars and caravans the cost effectiveness comes second to wanting it, this will probably cost me a £1000 or more plus hundreds of hours to do and will probably only ever be worth £1000 or less but you just cant buy one anymore and if you can it will need work. I got a 1973 Glenelg but it proved to be rotten in the roof and back so it will be donating spares to repair my 2 classic caravans and maybe others too.

I would love a 67-69 Glenelg with the blue cushions and curtains, I'm still looking as its what my Grandma had when I was young and my mum and dad used to borrow it and tow with her Mk2 or 3 cortinas of the time, later on it was towed by my Dads Mk1 Cavalier, which is why I have one the same now Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

67/68 Thomson Glenelg WANTED

Last edited by Onlyrwd on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pressure from the bosses mean Im going to HAVE to get this out of the workshop by the end of April Laughing Even after the building inspection I cant put it back in as we are moving and I wont have access to the workshop after May.... Time to get woodworking then!

Managed to replace the whole rear half of the side I took off, its not too bad quite easy and quick, just spend more time measuring and checking and lining it all up to 100% make sure its the right size and shape.

I have fastened the side panels in the correct exact place they came from and Im building the frame on top of it as it was going out of shape on the caravan, gravity wasnt helping me Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

T-line H&I

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick, sorry to hear your woes with the storage, repair in workshop situation. Looks like you have taken on the task and I look forward to seeing the completed project.

Keep up the excellent work!!!

Very Happy

Graham P Thompson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the best situation to be in but on the plus side its got me working on it again, majority of the side is now replaced and all the new wood cut to length.

Trying to decide which way to board it, as in where the seam of the ply will be. They were originally along the centre line below the windows but this will make a lot of off cuts from the 8x4 sheets I can get. It will also decide where the beading strips go to cover it, we will see when I get some boards soon.

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

T-line H&I

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but one of the others who replaced interior boards measured from top to bottom and used one piece with the windows cut out this then meant he had the seams running top to bottom so looked OK once the beading was applied over the joins. He started with the middle section and worked outwards to maintain symmetry which worked OK as he had a 15ft long wall in the van, 4 sheets of board with the two outer ones trimmed to the contours of the corners which of course are not an easy shape to work out when trying to work inside the van but if you are making up the side on the floor then adding it to the shell then it would be a lot easier. (Hope you understand what I mean in my befuddled state of mind! Its the new meds honest lol)

Graham P Thompson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had thought about running top to bottom but then realised the grain would be the wrong way Shocked OCD me thinks!! Will measure up and see if it will save boards, if not it will have to have another upright in the centre to fix the ends of the 2 boards together behind the wardrobe. It seemed to have beading everywhere originally some maybe for decoration I cant remember how it all was and the photos I have dont show it all.

I am going to board it on the floor, cut the shape round the frame and it should fit perfectly as it is what was made in 1967... Laughing Confused To be honest however it is will be better than it was and only the saddest of sad spotters (Like me) will notice it isnt as it was 44 years ago Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

T-line H&I

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mick, will have a look and see if I have any pictures of interiors that may give a clue to where the beading was originally.

Hadn't thought about the grain of the ply, it may be possible to get grain running opposite way but these boards may cost more. In one of our old Thomson vans the board was joined behind the wardrobe using the special plastic board jointing beading, was a more modern Thomson but may be something to look into.

Graham P Thompson
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the limited bits shown and things I can see in whats left of the frame like 2 nails close it looks like the beading was along the centre about 6 inches up the windows, would make sense as there is a wooden beam all the way side to side at that level. The downward joint was just to the rear of the wardrobe down the end of the window frame...I think Shocked

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Last edited by Onlyrwd on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, Travis Perkins sell 3.6mm hardwood ply, good finish and all the same colour for less than a tenner for an 8x4 sheet, Homebase wanted 32 quid for the same stuff!

The new silvercoated insulation board is only 12 quid for an 8x4 sheet too so its looking good for the side rebuild in a week or two Very Happy

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

T-line H&I

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always worth finding a local joiners shop when I last bought any timber it was at least a third of the price from there as it was from the bigger DIY stores. Added bonus was they also where more than happy to cut to exact sizes at no extra cost as well. Also made me fool good supporting local business. Wink

Graham P Thompson
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can clearly see the beading line on this 1968 Glendale. It is where I thought it would be along the line just around the centre line.

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

Last edited by Onlyrwd on Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
T-line H&I

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just looking at the same picture LOL, might have to bid on this one as it is just what we are looking for, daughter is thinking of buying the Glennevis as her and hubby have need of a 4 berth now. Will let you know!

Funny how the picture appeared at the same time as your query LOL!

Graham P Thompson
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Glendale is in fantastic condition looking at the photos, not sure about the silver front panel, maybe a optional extra at the time to prevent paint damage who knows. If it was a Glenelg I would have sold a Kindey or the kids to get it in that condition!

The Glennevis looks a bit rough but may be repairable...I may have just found 2 more Thomsons, a 71ish and a later one with the red stripe. No more details yet but some door knocking will get me some Laughing

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

T-line H&I

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to get down to see it at the weekend if I am fit to travel, sittig for a while in the car is hard going just now.

Graham P Thompson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: