classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

erratic idling, misfiring and then no starting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: erratic idling, misfiring and then no starting Reply with quote

So another saga with the mini begins!!! Rolling Eyes

yesterday went for a run with a couple of friends to a local meet and all went well on the way there but on the way back the damn mini started misfiring badly and I had to keep going since with me there were my wife and 2 year old daughter (asleep on the back seat).
HAd to keep the mini on high revs so that it did not stall and kept using the hand brake for braking!!
With some sort of miracle we arrive at the garage and whilst my wife gets off and opens the gate and the garage door for me to drive through I get off the car open the bonnet and take a visual check and start touching the coil and ht leads and find out that one of the ht leads was slightly disconnected from the plug (enough to cause erratic idling), so with a huge grin on my face and some self confidence I get back in my seat and go up and down our road to check its back to normal which it seems it is.
So I put the thing back in the garage without bodering to park it in its proper place since we were a bit in a hurry to go to my mum's.
Later on when we were back I went to put the mini in its usual place to get the daily in the garage for the night but the b****y mini starts reluctantly and misfires badly and then goes off and does not restart!!
I check again the ht leads but this time everything looks fine, I get out the plugs and all have an even brownish colour!!
And thats were I left it cause it was already late in the evening and was getting fed up of the thing!!
BTW this car has a 1380 with electronic ignition from a metro and recently(begining of the year) it did the same sort of thing and the culprit was found to be the electronic distributor's module which I changed with a second hand unit!!

Where do I start?
Will have to get someone to turn the key whilst I check for spark and if there's no spark at the ht, what next, ant to see whether the coil is ok what do i have to do!!
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally start at the battery and make 100% sure its good and leads are / connections good.
I then check each spark plug sparks with mate turning the engine over. If plug isn't sparking work back through leads.
Check that dampness is not affecting electrics by using an silicone type spray.

Problem sounds like it could well be the electronic ignition module, but check the other lot first.
Greg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an 'Earth strap'to the engine block? If so could it be loose ?
Just a thought Smile
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be the coil. I had similar symptoms with one of my A35's, I removed the coil to find oil was pouring out of it! Changed it for a spare and I haven't had any problems since. Just a thought.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want to check the coil too but I have a lucas sports coil fitted and the only coils I have spare (and I do not know where I've put them) are the common type!!
might get a spare from a friend though but today I do not have the time to check it thouroughly so it will have to wait for tomorrow!!
I'll go get a spare module just the same, after all I might need it in the near future if it turns out the one fitted was ok and not the culprit!!
Have just phoned a local spares supplier and he only has one module left and its not that cheap at 40 euros!! Shocked

bring back the points and condensor, much cheaper!!
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yesterday had a very rushed break at work, as I went to pick my wife from her work place, went to buy the electronic distributor module, got my daughter from the mother in law, took both the wife and daughter home and opened up the garage door and fitted the new module and voila it started!! Smile
Next I fixed a dodgy feed to the coil better as I had just clamped it on temproarily to see it works.
Did not have the time to go for a spin yet to see whether it is definately fine but it idled without any misfiring and revved freely so I presume it should be ok!!
Bayliss Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! I've heard elsewhere that these flippin' electronic ignition modules can be troublesome (so much for trouble free ignition eh!).
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic???!!!
I've just fitted an electronic "thingy" in my Gentry distributor, just screws down where the points were. I might no longer need to check or change the points.
Got it off eBay. Seems ok and "perhaps" running is a little smoother.
I have so much faith in it that the points and condenser are now fitted in my glove box!
Jim.
P.S. Still not sure that "keep it simple" is not the best motto.
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, Jim you sure you gapped the points correctly though in the glove box?
Smile

I'd have to change the whole distributor to go back to points and condensor though (which I do have somewhere, problem is where?!)
gettin older I think!! Sad
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with a Pinto EFI engine. It will not idle and pops and farts when it is revved. I have replaced just about everything apart from the ignition module (£40). I guess I will now replace that and if that does not do the trick I will put on a set of Webbers and a new dizzy. Rolling Eyes
Dax Rush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: