classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

WHAT SMITHS TACHO HAVE I GOT?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
moriniboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: WHAT SMITHS TACHO HAVE I GOT? Reply with quote

Help!
I have an electronic Smiths tacho, and am baffled as to what era it is or what car it'll fit. It's 8cm in diameter, black-faced, white needle, reads up to 8000rpm and on the face is marked 'RVI 1000/00'.

On the reverse as well as Smiths it is marked none-o-jewels

I can email kind souls photos for identification but obviously cant post any

Any info welcome

Simon
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, yeah send me a photo and I'll have a look, sounds like a 70s accessory to me, although if it has a chrome surround to the glass it may be 60s

cheers
Rick
dodgenut@4onthefloor.co.uk
moriniboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: WHAT SMITHS TACHO HAVE I GOT? Reply with quote

Hi Rik,.
yep it has got a chrome bezel - forgot to mention that... will email you a photo when I get my camera back from the missus tonight...
Muxch appreciated
Simon
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if it is off a motorbike or a car?

Have you chosen your handle because you ride one of Benjys bullets?
moriniboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: WHAT SMITHS TACHO HAVE I GOT Reply with quote

Yep it's a car one - bought from a rubbish ebay photo thinking it was a bike one... God bless Mr Straw!!! Yes i not only ride one of his Morini bullets, i ride three of them actually...with a fourth one that no-one will buy off me....
moriniboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: what SMITHS TACHO HAVE I GOT Reply with quote

You remember Morini guru Benjy Straw?!
Us Morinisti have never been so well served since he packed up and his sidekick Phil died...
Ive got 3 Morinis and a fourth minter that bizarrely no-one will buy off me despite repeated ads - the Classic Bike world is v bizarre
Simon
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I remember him very well, very well indeed. Even his racing.... maybe you dont know this, but in some circles he used to be known as Benjy-never-hurry-a-good-race-Straw! (Complement, not insult!)Wonderful character.

Tell us all about your bikes! If you ask nicely, I might even pass on a heron head tuning tip!
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here ya go

Rick
moriniboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: what TACHO HAVE I GOT Reply with quote

DUNNO HOW you posted that... so -HELP!!!!- what is this tacho from? Anyone? Please?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Rick, you should know this one!
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to me like an optional accessory, at first I thought it had a black surround in which case I was thinking early XJ, Rover P5, Triumph that kind of thing, but with the chrome surround I'm not sure. Plus if it came out of an actual production car, it'd be redlined somewhere, whereas this one isnt, which makes me think that its an optional fitting for any car

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have a stab at this myself, and make a complete idiot of myself. I just know someone is going to correct me!

My ancient brain cell tells me that RVI rev-counters were for points ignition only, and phased out somewhere between 1972 and 1974. They were switchable between 4, 6 and 8 cylinders (I think) and therefore were used on a lot of cars. 8000 rpm makes three possibilities spring to mind. First, a Mini Cooper accessory, (and therefore lots of BL motors, eg small Triumphs) Second Lotus / Lotus engined Fords. Third, I have a very faint memory of some Maseratis using them!

Any more offers?
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi UJ

Wouldn't Masers have Italian clocks - perhaps by Veglia (I think thats the name I'm thinking of)

I think I have one of these in the garage *somewhere*, but again I've no idea what that one was for as it came in a box of misc bits Smile

Rick.
moriniboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: WHAT'S MY SMITHS TACHO FOR? Reply with quote

There is no indication from this tacho exterior that it is in any way switch-able between engines of different configurations. it'sa bolt on, wire upan use jobbie
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that Maseratis used Veglia or some other italian clocks, its just that I have this faint memory that odd ones used Smiths. I´m probably wrong!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: