classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Different kinds of welding
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Bluesbreaker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Different kinds of welding Reply with quote

Hi there

I've been wondering about different kinds of welding. When restoring a car, does it really matter how you weld it?

This question came up when someone told me that "you can't arc-weld that" when I was welding something on a project.

I mostly arc-weld, because I find it quite easy and quick, and because I can't afford a fancy MIG even though I would like to have one.
Some people even TIG weld, which is quite cool.

So guys, does it really make a difference, if it gets the job done?

Cheers,
Niko

Saab 96 V4 1973
Saab 96 V4 1974
Saab 96L V4 Super 1977
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it does not matter subject to MOT requirements but you have to be a really skilled welder to do arcing neatly on thin car body steel
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a "pocket" Cebora for nothing. I replaced some parts in the gun and the liner. It works very well, even had my welding complimented Shocked . Don't buy a budget welder they can be crap.
Dax Rush
michael1703

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a good secondhand mig on Ebay, get something 130-180 amp, dont use flux cored wire and dont use pub gas.

get argoshield light from boc or cougar from air produts they do a size that about 2 ft tall which is £30 per year rental and you should get a few years out of one fill of gas, theyre equivalent to over 100 disposable bottles which cost £7-£12 a time http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/wiki/Gas_Price_Spreadsheet

those disposable bottles only give 10mins of welding each, less if its windy.

you get what you pay for though, avoid early sip/maypole because the wire feed is crap and theyre a pain to set up

avoid cheap chinese,wolf,etc get one with a euro torch if you can afford it

check the range, some cheaper ones only go as low as 40amp, most go to 30amp, i spent a bit more to get a portamig 215 which goes down to 20amp

use 0.6 wire on thin stuff and 0.8 on anything thicker than sheet metal, you should be able to weld up to 6-8mm on most welders in that ampage range

you should get 20+years out of a mig set so think of your long term needs

check here for info

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/mig.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: