classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brand New Royal Enfield?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Scotty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Brand New Royal Enfield? Reply with quote

I've been toying with idea of going back onto a motorcycle, but not one of these modern screamers, a more traditional "one-lunger" or "twin" like the ones I cut my teeth on.

However, I also want the reliablity of a "new" motorcycle, hence the reason I'm actively considering a new Indian built Royal Enfield that are currently available - has anybody had experience of one, or a friend who has one? I have heard all stories about they're not reliable,etc, but each time I ask the account giver for more detail its never them that's actually experienced the problem, its always "some bloke down the pub said".

Any info / first hand accounts would be much appreciated - thanks guys. Wink
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of chaps in the local classic bike club have them and they seem reliable enough, though they are carb. models not the latest injection bikes. Compared with my 51 year old Triumph Speed Twin, they do seem a little sluggish on acceleration, though they are rated at identical bhp. Perhaps that is to be expected from a single which inevitably has a heavier flywheel to "spin up" than a twin?

The latest 500 only seems to have gained 1bhp in spite of the fuel injected and redesigned engine. A friend test rode one of these at Stafford Show this year and to say he was unimpressed would be an understatement, but perhaps he was comparing it with his Kawasaki W650 (retro) twin.

For what it is worth I have just sold a three year old W650 because I prefer riding my Speed Twin. It is much more fun, still reliable and more comfortable. I've clocked up over 700 miles in the last fortnight.
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jim, this is excellent - its exactly what I'm looking for. Wink

You're points about it being a little sluggish, perhaps due to the single carb and you friends comments re the comparison with a Kawa reinforce what I expected, so no surprises there then. If anything they reassure me as I want to "enjoy" ( Rolling Eyes ) once again a traditional British bike - right down to leaking oil, slack chains and the upright sitting position.

Thanks for taking to time to reply, its much appreciated.

Scotty.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Photographed this one back in 2008,

I was told that it is not a "genuine" reproduction because it doesn't leak oil. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"....... it doesn't leak oil" - well that's it then, I'm not buying one! Laughing

Thanks for the picture Penman, it just looks so right to me, even with the modern components showing.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 2005 Royal Oilfield 350cc Thunderbird engine. It just does not look right.

And who has nicked the neutral gear lever?
Dax Rush
Salopian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty
My elder brother bought a new Enfield 500 Electra 3 or so years ago for the same reasons you are looking at one. He found the novelty wore off very quickly and the lack of performance (and it wasn't over reliable!) tiring. He sold it after 3 months and went on to a Kawasaki then got hooked on Ducati. Now has three new and newish ones for his wife and him.
I did cover a few miles on the Enfield (I'm a Guzzi type - 850 T4 and Breva 1100) and it reminded me how much improvement there has been in braking and grip never mind go over the years.
Mentioning your post to my brother he commented that the Enfield was fine for pottering up lanes but he felt underpowered and out of its element on a main road. If thats your thing go for it! He also reminded me it was not easy to sell and he lost quite a bit over a very short period - trade in offers were derisory and he held on for a private sale which took a fair while. Funnily enough the chap he sold it to was returning to biking but only kept it for 3 months telling my brother he was already bored and had bought a larger Honda!
Looking at the current new price it seems expensive to me.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's "horses for courses".
Maybe it's my age or perhaps my physique (or lack of it). I don't feel the need for the power of most modern bikes, nor have I yet found one I "feel at home" on. And that includes the retro Kawasaki W 650 I bought at one year old with very little mileage. Fortunately selling it almost for the same price 3 years later.
My 51 year old Triumph 500 will still quite comfortably match the legal limit if asked (and well exceed it if demanded) and will cruise at 60 mph all day, which is more than the legal limit on most roads.
In the last four years and several thousand miles my only break down is a pulled clutch cable nipple.
That "horse" suits my "course" and I have no intention of changing. The people I know with Enfields seem satisfied, but then they are mostly around my age.
Jim.
Salopian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right Jim of course. Referring back to my earlier posting my elder brother is 70 but lucky enough to look 55 and take the same size kit as 40 years ago!
A fully sorted Triumph must be a joy - my memories are of the neglected and thrashed models I owned usually briefly in the 60's. Being skint at the time bodgery was the order of the day and as a result I have few happy nostalgic memories of them. I always thought the 500 was the sweetest engine at the time.
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jonathan - once again this is exactly the type of review I'm looking for and provides a very useful counterpoint.

My physique has somewhat broadened over the years, something that I would have to take into account as I'm not longer a 12 stone, fit as a fiddle, recruit Fireman, more like a 16 stone, glued to a desk, museum researcher - so I reckon those extra pounds are going to take a toll on performance.

I've been surfing and I've discovered the importers (a famous name in their own right) are having their annual open weekend on the 20th. The down side is its a fair wee bit down south for me, but what is particularly annoying is I'm at the Fire Service College in Moreton-in-Marsh two weeks later! Confused

I think the next step is going over to the nearest dealer for me (just outside Edinburgh) and find out about availability, prices and most essential - test rides.

Thanks to all for your contributions. Wink

Last edited by Scotty on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilkybob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant see you on a Royal Enfield if that is who I think it might be?
Unless it's the trails version, then you can have far more fun green laning it.
Or I might even sell you a Ex AFS BSA B40

http://www.royal-enfield.com/trials.html
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob! You old fox, I see you've come over to the dark side then! Very Happy

And I could very well be interested in the BSA, but remember you'll be dealing with a canny, frugal, tight Scot who pleads poverty at every turn.

Scotty aka Proto.
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:

I've been surfing and I've discovered the importers (a famous name in their own right) are having their annual open weekend on the 20th. The down side is its a fair wee bit down south for me, but what is particularly annoying is I'm at the Fire Service College in Moreton-in-Marsh two weeks later! Confused

:

When you go to Moreton-in-Marsh could you see if they still have an old single cab double decker bus that they used for training? It was a 1940/50 model.

I tipped off the Bus Preservation Group some time ago about this but have not heard if they managed to prise it away from the Fire Service College. It deserved to be saved for restoration as I cannot imagine any fireman would need training on such a bus.

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do my best to find out Bri. Wink

Scotty.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment from a friend who's not a forum member...

"My 94 350 Bullet has been pretty reliable, though I have only done under 3000 miles since buying it new.

A glitch with the indicators due to a cable connection needing tightened and a loss of ignition due to the flimsy bayonet catch type fuse holder coming apart are all that I can remember.

More recently, fuel seems to go off quicker than it did in pre unleaded days but not specific to the bike.

Chrome is poor quality - no road salt in India I expect and the bike is built to a price.

Kick starting is a knack, but not a problem once acquired.

All I've needed in spares are oil filters and the carb to air cleaner rubber, which cracked and split after a few years.

There's a good forum on Hitchcocks website.

alan"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: