header image
Parts
Homepage. This page: Black and white photograph of a newly-delivered Garner.

Garner Motors Ltd.

In the 1920s and 1930s there were many lorry manufacturers located across the British isles. One was Garner, a name all-but-forgotten today, but once a maker of medium-sized commercial vehicles located in Birmingham. Tom sent this photograph over, hoping that the lorry in it might be identifiable.
The firm began life producing bicycles, as so many motor manufacturers did, and moved into production of their own vehicles in the 1920s. A new factory was opened at Kings Road, Tyseley, enabling a new range of forward-control lorries to make their debut in 1931. The lorry in the photograph appears to be brand new, judging by the glistening paintwork, and is fitted with a fairly shallow drop-side wooden rear body. The gent behind the wheel of this example, is the grandfather of Tom's parents' neighbour, and clearly was used in its early years around South Wales.
(Please click the thumbnail to view the full-size image.)
A Garner truck in Wales
Prior to producing lorries of his own manufacture, Henry Garner Ltd imported truck chassis built in Lima, Ohio, by the Gramm-Bernstein Company. Some two hundred or so of these Continental-powered chassis were imported in this way.
Return to Page 19 in the photographic archive, or visit the main index here.

Custom Search
www.oldclassiccar.co.uk (C) R. Jones. Content not to be reproduced elsewhere.
Website by ableweb.
Privacy Policy, Cookies & Disclaimers