header image
Parts
Homepage. This page: Photos featuring Opel's post-war four-cylinder Olympia convertible and saloon.

1. Opel Olympia 1950 convertible.

The three photographs shown below feature a convertible version of the Opel Olympia 1950, a model introduced in ... 1950. The 1950 took over from the OL38, a type introduced with various bodystyles prior to WW2, but only available after the war in two-door saloon mode. The new Olympia 1950 was available as a two-door saloon, estate car, or convertible.
The first photograph shows two people stood alongside the Olympia convertible, with its roof folded on a bright sunny day. A note on the rear advises that this was taken during a visit to Menaggio, in Italy. The chap in the photo was a Professor of Medicine, from Neustadt, Leipzig in Germany. Note the ADAC badge fitted above the Opel's registration plate, alongside another portraying a Lion Rampant - the coat of arms for Leipzig. An ADAC transfer also adorns the car's windscreen.
(Please click the thumbnail to view full-size image.)
Opel Olympia 1950 convertible
Photograph number two shows the German motor-car from the rear, this time with the roof raised, alongside Lake Lugano.
Opel Olympia convertible at Lugano
The final photo in this set shows, I think, the same car, possibly with the same lady stood alongside it (albeit with darker hair). The convertible roof is down, and she has been joined by a dog, stood up behind the steering wheel, feet resting on the door top. An ADAC transfer is again in the Opel's window, although this time it is shown on the driver's side. The location for this view is on the shore of Lake Mondsee, in Austria.
The Opel in Austria
ADAC, or Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club, was founded in 1903 and is still going strong today as the German equivalent to the AA/RAC.

2. A saloon serving with the FFA in Germany.

Now, the saloon version of the same car. This front-on view features a dark-coloured Olympia saloon, with two gents - one in uniform - stood with it. A stencilled military plate can just be seen fitted to the left of the car, while on the right is a plate with the letters "FFA" upon it. FFA stands for Forces Franšaises Allemagne, the branch of the French military stationed in Germany following WW2.
Opel with the FFA in Germany
In 1953 the model shown on this page would be replaced in Opel catalogues by the new Olympia Rekord.
Return to Page 13 in the classic & vintage car photo gallery.

Custom Search
www.oldclassiccar.co.uk (C) R. Jones. Content not to be reproduced elsewhere.
Website by ableweb.
Privacy Policy, Cookies & Disclaimers