|Homepage.||This page: Free download containing images of 10 Spitfires and GT6s|
Spitfire & GT6
Pictures of this classic Triumph sportscar available in a PC screensaver.
Download it free at www.oldclassiccar.co.uk|
I'm slowly building up a large gallery of old-car screensavers unique to this website. Available here is one specific to Triumph's affordable sportscar of the 1960s and 1970s, namely the convertible 4 cylinder Spitfire and the fixed-head 6 cylinder GT6 coupe. Examples of most Spitfire models are featured (Mk2, Mk3, MkIV and 1500) from its long production life, as are both Mk2 and Mk3 GT6. I didn't have a suitable photo of a Spitfire 4 (Mk1) or Mk1 GT6 to use, but I hope to add them in at a later date. In all ten different cars are included in this PC screensaver.
The Spitfire can trace its lineage straight back to the Triumph Herald of 1959, and used (in modified form) the Herald's separate chassis, minus the saloon car's outriggers. Early Spits were powered by the 1147cc Herald engine, with twin carburettors fitted throughout. The Mk3 Spitfire benefited from a jump to 1296cc, which would remain with the Spit until the introduction of the 1500cc engine in the final incarnation of the baby Triumph. The GT6 Mk1 was always marketed as a 6 cylinder coupe, initially with the Vitesse 1600cc engine, being stretched to 2 litres for the Mk2 and Mk3 GT6s which would continue in production til the early 1970s.
Instructions (PC version only)
1. Click on the Spitfire/GT6 screensaver link (see further down)
2. When prompted, save the .exe application file to your PC C: drive & make a note of where you store it
3. Using Windows Explorer, find the file you just downloaded
4. Double click on the file (spitfire.exe) to fire it up
5. A grey window shows on screen
6. You can preview the screensaver before installing, just click Run
7. Any keypress or mouse movement will cancel the screensaver
8. To install the screensaver, click the Install option in the grey window
9. You're done! the Spit/GT6 sportscar screensaver is now your default
10. When you've had enough of it you can go back into your Display settings in MS Windows, and reset to another screensaver if you wish
If you're not too confident with changing your PC settings in this way, it is probably best to get someone who knows more about this kind of thing to do it. It has been tested on my own PC (running Windows XP) and works ok with Internet Explorer 6.0 and Firefox 1.0 browsers. No guarantees, warranties or anything else that it'll work on every new or ancient PC out there! I can't take responsibility for anyone re-configuring their Windows settings by trying this - however it should be fine, but it does require a little knowledge by the user to install it.
GT6 & Spitfire screensaver file 1.65Mb
|www.oldclassiccar.co.uk (C) R. Jones. Content not to be reproduced elsewhere.|
|Website by ableweb.|