classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Nose art banned!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Nose art banned! Reply with quote

Today it was announced that the Ministry of defence has banned all nose art from British aircraft.

The decoration or personalisation of aircraft has been around almost as long as aircraft themselves, but in yet another 'politically correct' move the MOD has consigned it to the bin of history.

A spokesman said that the ban came into effect to prevent 'offence to women' while serving within the RAF, but went on to admit that of the 5,400 women currently serving there had been not one single actual complaint!
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like they're trying to ban everything doesn't ? today on the radio they were talking about a ban on Mercury, which has got the barometer enthusiasts all worked up. Someone pointed out that (supposedly) these super-dooper energy saving bulbs, and fluorescent strip lights, have mercury in them. Is that right?

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsure about barometers but the carb-tune thingummies used to tune multi cylinder motorcycles now use steel rods in place of Merc.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sad characters they must be to ban nose art. I think I'll get a logo made up for my cars in protest! Very Happy

I read somewhere that Nose art on USAF aircraft in Saudi, (where showing female forms is banned) had to be 'clothed' when said aircraft returned to the US. So its not just here we have sad people.... Shocked

UJ
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again the anarchy of vocal minorities is crushing the democratic rights of the silent majority! Mad

EDIT: I've just realised that the first post mentions that nobody actually complained - bugger it, I'm on a roll, my original comment still stands.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The explanation for the Saudi ban is that it is a Muslim country and there are a great deal of things we in the west enjoy or see as enjoyable in our culture that are banned under Islam i.e. Alcohol, Music, Art, freedom of thought etc.

As we were 'guests' in saudi and it is their country it seems only proper to comply with their wishes, if only that respect was reciprocated. Crying or Very sad

It seems that the powers that be are doing their damndest to erase any sort of national identity based on our traditions, we are all now part of the new happy-clappy, multi-culti, trendy right -on U-kay now folks!

Will the last one to leave please turn out the lights. Confused
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-nail, I should have explained things better. It wasnt in Saudi that the unclothed Nose Art was prohibited, but in the USA.... Shocked As I understood it, purely for political correctness.

UJ
old gto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprizing. Amazed it wasn`t initiated here first....in the "United States of the Offended", as some radio hosts have dubbed us.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true what they say y'know, everything that happens in the 'states comes over to Britain a few years later. Confused

The damage being done is not generally realised by those at the forefront of the move for political correctness let alone the general public.

The way it seems to be is that we in the west must tip-toe around and de-construct our identity and culture lest we offend some groups that are shall we say very easily offended! If this were something that was a reciprocal arrangement then it could be a very good thing, but it isn't, and never will be.
Gradually our freedoms are being erased at the behest and to the benefit of those that would allow no freedoms to us.

Anyway, this post has taken a political leaning (due to my comments!) Very Happy and I'd really like to avoid politics on this forum as it is unfortunately a nasty subject.

If anyone would like to discuss or read further examples of what drives me mad I've now set up a blog to air my views! Not many posts at the moment as it's a work in progress but more will come! see it here;

http://britonspeak.blogspot.com/
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if some of the worlds most famous paintings will have to be retouched. After all, arent they politically incorrect?

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ I'll tell you a little story that is absolutely true.

In the 19th century during Queen Victoria's rule the female form when depicted nude in a painting would never show pubic hair as it was considered 'indecent'.
That area was always covered by a twist of cloth or cleverly placed item, and when a painting unavoidably had to show that area due to the composition of the picture the female pubic area was always depicted as totally smooth.

The Victorian art world was dominated by an eminent art critic John Ruskin, a man so influential that should a painter earn his displeasure then that painters career was over!

Ruskin was THE main figure in the art world, and his criticism was the make or break to many a young painter, if he praised you then fame and fortune were all but guaranteed, if not, then your lot would be very poor indeed, so basically all Victorian art was painted to comply with his sense of taste.

It is said that so absorbed was Ruskin in his world of Victorian paintings that he married quite late in life, and that on his wedding night he fled in horror at the sight of his wife's pubic hair! - Ruskin had assumed that seeing so many 'smooth' nudes for so many years in all those paintings that women were actually made that way, and his poor wife was some kind of freak!

Viewed from the distance of time all sorts of things can look silly to us now that made sense at the time, the thing that truly worries me is that some of the things happening now - such as the nose-art ban look silly now!

What do we tell the future generations when they ask why did we stand by and let this kind of thing happen?
62rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will come to pass; and those present will laugh heartily at our perception of morality and obscenity. we will be seen as stuffy, blinkered old fogies incapable of individuality. of course, those present will probably be banned from reading anything about the infidel West..... since by then we will all have been obliterated by the True Believers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: