classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 Series E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ben_minor_1963

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 Series E Reply with quote

HI all. I am wanting to know any information on a Morris 8 Series E. I am considering purchasing one this year as my daily driver. I am not bothered that there slow as to me thats the fun of driving them.
Any info is appreciated
Thanks
Ben
TribalElder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mate, the Morris 8 Series E is a pretty reliable little chugger, sit all day on 80 kph. Doesn't like hot days though as it relies on an auto-syphon feature to keep the water circulating instead of having a water pump Sad Also, they don't have an oil filter, which means you have to use "Shellsey Light" or something similar as if you use a detergent oil the crud remains in circulation. With "Shellsey Light" the crud sticks to the sump and you can scrape it out when you change oil. Keep a good supply of sump gaskets.

If the one you purchase is still 6v positive to earth (like mine), you are limited somewhat in electrical devices although I did find a source for 6v pos to earth electronic ignition which hides the gear in the distributor and makes for much better spark and reliability.

Tyres (crossply or biasply) are no longer common and in Oz cost around $230 each for 17" x 4.5". Keep a couple of tubes handy in the boot. Remember, the rims are only 17" by 2.5" so skinny as but it stills handles ok for what it is.

The single wiper is more of an ornament. I use rainX on my windscreen so that the rain beads up and runs off, much more reliable than the little wiper.

Cheers mate!
Laughing

It's hard to run like an Emu
When you are girt by Numbats
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben

I have a 1948 2 door series E as well as a 55 ford pop. I have to say that the Morris despite being that much older than the Ford is a much more sophisticated vehicle. It feels much more 'modern' having a 4 speed gearbox and hydraulic brakes. Because of the 4 speed box you can work the engine more than the Ford which needs to be screwed in first and 2nd to get it to go. That accounts for the quieter ride.

It feels altogether a more comfortable and safe ride. My Wife much prefers it to the Ford.....less rock and roll and more sedate. However it, like the Ford is underpowered compared to modern vehicles and Yes can tootle around alongside them in town and on minor roads....BUT on major roads you will be unable to keep pace with HGVs let alone anything else. When it comes to hills, just pray you have a good run at them or you will have a frustrated queue behind you.

All that can be good fun when out for a weekend drive.....but as an everyday car.......well it would not be my choice.

Don't let me put you off....get one, enjoy it but remember it will be 60 odd years old and daily modern use will mean a lot of looking after.

Stuart
ben_minor_1963

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your not puting me off chap. I am one of them people born in the wrong era so my Era is the 1940s. I am not bothered if i am the slow vehicle as I have a saying 'You should of left earlier' I know i will always service the car regularly and if I don't I always have friends who ask me if i have serviced it. And I will always give the vehicle a oil change every 2,000 miles so It hopefully will be clean oil. And there is a thing called evans cooler. If that worth putting it in so on hot days (if the uk has any) it doesnt overheat.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why running one every day should be a problem, although it depends on what kind of journeys you envisage doing to a certain extent. Lots of hilly or fast-road use might be a struggle after a while.

My advice would be to buy a good example to start out with, one that's already been used regularly, and make sure you have a useful stockpile of consumables on the shelf if (when) something breaks or wears out, that way you won't be immobile for any longer than necessary.

One or two sensible upgrades might be worth considering, LED headlamp bulbs that fit into existing bulb holders appear to be gaining in popularity with some pre-war car users for example. Not only do they give out better light (apparently), they draw less current than traditional bulbs.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ben_minor_1963

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This company does LED Bulbs. do they do them for the Trafficators?
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/online-shop-for-led-bulbs-and-light-boards-etc.php
petermeachem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they are required for trafficators, they are not on for long. I intend using led's for headlamps, Austin Seven dynamo's (or at least mine) can't keep up when all the lights are on and leds will solve that. When I used to drive back up to London at night I had to drive round all the towns on the way for 10 minutes with the lights off to charge the battery up again
ben_minor_1963

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah. Is there any pictures of what they look like with the led headlights?
petermeachem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/a-bit-about-led-bulbs.php

They look different, but I think it is more important to be able to see where you are going and not run out of electricity. I had to sleep in the car a couple of times when the battery was completely flat and would not even start on the handle. It started fine after a few hours rest when the sun had come up.
I read somewhere you can fit motorbike reflectors which are shiny as apposed to the ones I have.
ben_minor_1963

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I hate the standard h4 as i cant see the road fully for pot holes etc. They look ok to me but i like origionality so I can always swap bulbs over for shows etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: