classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

ignition timing and unleaded fuel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
FIFTIES CRUISER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: ignition timing and unleaded fuel Reply with quote

Hi when I perchased my mark 2 Ford Zephyr I was told by the owner the engine had been converted for unleaed fuel. On collection the tank was low and I filled up with unleaded. As there was no proof the conversion had been done I subsequently used leaded 4 star. From then on the engine didn't run as well, symtoms of misfiring. Recently I've replaced the points and condener and set the timing statically using a light bulb on the LT contacts on the coil. Timing marks lined up with Number one piston TDC on compression. I had to turn the vernier knob on the dizzy many notches towards retard to make the bulb light. The engine starts and ticks over and fast idles really well now. I believe leaded 4 star fuel requires a more advanced setting than unleaded. any views welcome.

thanks
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lower the octane rating of a petrol, the more likely an engine is to 'pink.'

A misfire due to a change in fuel is more than likely a symptom of other problems.....

UJ
mexico

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't that leaded petrol requires more ignition advance it's just that it can accomodate more advance which produces more power. Have you tried going back to unleaded fuel ? It might just be a coincidence that the fault appeared when you changed to 4 star.

Number Plates
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. That unleade fuel requires a timing change is just a myth that is sometimes heard. It was brought about by the fact that some oil companies took the chance to lower the octane rating. Shocked

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: