classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rechroming...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Rechroming... Reply with quote

So...somebody told me the other day that rechroming is now illegal? Is it? ... I'm needing a bumber rechromed...
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: well... Reply with quote

..a brief trawl of tinterweb suggests that there's plenty of folk rechroming....so what was that story about? Has there been more regulations places on the proccess making it more expensive, forcing folk out of business?
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of the made up stories about some random thing being illegal quickly followed by a rant against the EU?
I can imagine chroming a complete car might be iffy, but not a bumper
trampintransit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: ha.. Reply with quote

...chroming a complete car...now there's an idea!!

Dunno where I heard that story...you're right , I should have googled first.
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I'm sure this topic came up recently on here, but I am dashed if I can find the thread now.
I think it boiled down to an EU regulation change proposal.

Hi again.
I was wrong, it was on another forum. here is the quote:-
Quote:

I assume that you are UK based. The dead hand of the EU is indeed hovering over the chrome plating industry. My information is that, eventually, the use of chromium trioxide is to be banned in industry. The replacement will be inferior. The FBHVC, the motor trade associations and others are fighting a rearguard action to try to have its use allowed in certain circumstances e.g. for the refurbishment of bearings, where substitutes will fail. The industry is hoping that exemptions will also be able to be obtained for refurbishment of original components which were chromium plated at manufacture, and also perhaps parts for ' cherished vehicles ' even if they are reproduction parts. The current deadline for the UK government to implement EU regulation No. 1907/2006 ( known as REACH – Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals !! ) with regard to chromium plating is 2017. I hope that this is of some help.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
norustplease

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the potential ban relates to hard chrome, rather than decorative chrome finishes.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This threat has been around for a few years. A chrome plating company once told me that there are several options open to them but the most likely replacement will produce a very slight blue tint.

Last year Nun Street Plating in Derby was in the news as someone made a serious error with dangerous chemicals. The area had to be evacuated for fear of an explosion!

I had driven past in my '26 Dodge tourer only the day before. Shocked
goneps

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe zinc dichromate ('yellow zinc') plating was banned quite a few years ago by the EU. Cadmium plating is also under threat—as far as I'm aware, Air New Zealand's maintenance operation is the only outfit in this country to have permission to use the cadmium plating process, a particular exception being made to meet aviation specifications.

Richard
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember reading that some of the chemicals used in chroming are incredibly toxic and very difficult and therefore expensive to dispose of when exhausted. I believe there are already very complex regulations re the handling and disposal of these,probably the reason behind any talk of a ban or further regulation is there have been instances where someone somewhere has not followed the existing safeguards.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A place local to me has just closed, they did zinc and cad plating but from chatting to the old owner before it closed he had had a gutful of the regulations so retired and sold the land for housing.
The local powder coaters has retired too!

Kev
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sad tale and I would imagine similar to what is happening to lots of businesses of all shapes and sizes up and down the country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: